Publication, but I didnt do anything?

• Thread starter fluffy123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Publication
In summary, this student is concerned that they do not feel as though they should be an author on a paper they helped to get published. They suggest that there can be ambiguity about who qualifies as an author, and that taking on that responsibility can be daunting.
fluffy123
Hi all,

I started doing research with a professor back in September, and basically all I've done so far was write a bunch of computer programs. He submitted a paper for publication last week, and he put me as a co-author. But it doesn't feel right, because I don't think I deserve it.

Just curious, does this normally happen for undergrad researchers?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's up to him, really. Apparently, he valued your contributions. Just thank him and keep working.

turbo said:
It's up to him, really. Apparently, he valued your contributions. Just thank him and keep working.

^ this, and writing programs that were necessary to get the work done is a considerable contribution

fluffy123 said:
Hi all,

I started doing research with a professor back in September, and basically all I've done so far was write a bunch of computer programs. He submitted a paper for publication last week, and he put me as a co-author. But it doesn't feel right, because I don't think I deserve it.

Just curious, does this normally happen for undergrad researchers?

There's nothing wrong with talking to the professor about your concerns- presumably he didn't get your permission to add your name to the paper. Most likely, he thought he was acting correctly and that you would be excited.

Research projects can die when people write software that doesn't work, or is too inefficient to get the job finished on time. Maybe you didn't come up with any "big new ideas", but don't undervalue what you did contribute. Nothing much gets achieved (either in research or anything else) unless somebody does the grunt work, and does it right!

The pragmatic aspects are a big part of actually following through with an experiment. If you were instrumental in getting the experiment off the ground, then you certainly earned your place on the paper.

What do you think you need to have done to deserve to be named as an author?

Sometimes the lines between who qualifies and who doesn't can be a little blurry. You need to have contributed significantly to the work in some way - but "significant" can sometimes be difficult to define. What can be annyoing for students who volunteer their time to assist with research is that for the same work in, some can end up on papers and others may not.

It's tempting to tell you to just accept it and move on, that having this publication to your name will only help you. But as an author, you are also assuming some of the responsibility for what you publish. You never know when you'll get an email from someone who read the paper and wants to discuss aspects of it with you. Or if you'll be asked about the details when you visit a graduate school you're interested in.

1. What is considered a publication in the scientific community?

A publication in the scientific community refers to any written work that is publicly available and contributes to the existing body of scientific knowledge. This can include research articles, books, conference proceedings, and scientific reports.

2. Can a publication be credited to someone who did not actively contribute to the research?

No, a publication should only be credited to individuals who have made a significant contribution to the research. This can include designing experiments, analyzing data, or writing the manuscript. Simply being listed as an author without any substantial contribution is considered unethical and can be considered a form of plagiarism.

3. What should I do if I am listed as an author on a publication but did not actually participate in the research?

If you have been listed as an author on a publication without your knowledge or consent, you should contact the corresponding author of the publication and request to be removed. It is important to address this issue promptly to avoid any potential ethical concerns.

4. Can a publication be retracted if it is discovered that one of the authors did not contribute to the research?

Yes, if it is discovered that an author did not contribute to the research, the publication can be retracted. This is typically done at the request of the corresponding author or the journal's editorial board. Retractions can also occur if there are issues with the validity or integrity of the research.

5. Are there any consequences for falsely claiming authorship on a publication?

Yes, falsely claiming authorship on a publication is considered a form of plagiarism and can have serious consequences. It can damage the reputation and credibility of the individual and can also result in legal action. It is important to only claim authorship if you have made a significant contribution to the research.