Math REUs 2012: When Can We Expect Decisions?

• Thread starter ktupv
  • Start date
In summary: I'm on the short-list!In summary, people are waiting to hear back from REUs, but no one is discussing when decisions will be made.
Actually I don't remember seeing anywhere that on most math REU sites saying a requirement of classes. At least not CSUCI or SDSU.

Physics news on Phys.org
deadsupra said:
Actually I don't remember seeing anywhere that on most math REU sites saying a requirement of classes. At least not CSUCI or SDSU.
Of the thirteen I applied to I know at least 7 required it.

camilus said:
I got into UW stout, did anybody else?

I reallllly wanted to go to Emory, but I found the project way too late.

Ah that stinks. I really wish I had my applications together sooner. I didn't think offers were going to be made to people in most of these programs before the actual application deadlines.

Also, I'm just curious, what kind of courses/research experience have you had? haha, I guess I'm just feeling a bit confused as to how I didn't get an offer, as I did feel pretty confident about my application.

Who else is going to Bard? I am going there.

After rejections by Boise State, UNC-Asheville, Fairfield, Indiana, Channel Islands, SUNY-Potsdam, and six weeks without any sort of notification from Oregon State, I was accepted to the University of Washington REU this morning, three days after submitting my application.

So I got rejected from SUNY, Cornell, William&Mary, Fairfield, Indiana, UW-Stout. Haven't heard from Ursinus yet. so 6/7 rejected and I'm pretty sure I'm not getting into that last one.

What do you need to get into these things?... I did a year of algebra and analysis, topology, differential geometry, and also graduate algebraic topology. Most of the REUs I applied to were topology/algebraic topology ones so I think I had enough background for those? Also one of my recs is from my topology professor who likes me a lot..

so I don't have research experience in math since I did some kind of theoretical neuroscience/applied math thing the summer after freshman year. does everyone who gets into these things already have significant experience doing math research? I don't see how I could have done anything useful in math after freshman year, I didn't know nearly enough stuff back then.

anyway I'll be working with a prof at my school on algebraic topology, so hopefully things will still work out fine. I really wanted to do an REU though... I guess I still have next summer but I wanted to apply for the NSA thing then.

Anyone know what's up with the UMichigan REU? I sent an email yesterday and haven't heard anything since submitting my app.

I emailed Umich and they told me my application is still under review

longtm1989 said:
I emailed Umich and they told me my application is still under review

Interesting, they actually responded and said I didn't make the cut (very kindly - something like "you're qualified to do an REU somewhere, but it just didn't work out here, sorry!").

riemannia said:
After rejections by Boise State, UNC-Asheville, Fairfield, Indiana, Channel Islands, SUNY-Potsdam, and six weeks without any sort of notification from Oregon State, I was accepted to the University of Washington REU this morning, three days after submitting my application.

I was just accepted to the University of Washington REU 2012! I look forward to seeing you there!