Which Book on Mathematical Proofs is Perfect for Preparing for Grad School?

In summary, the person is considering going onto graduate school and is looking for a book that could help them with constructing proofs. They have read and heard good things about Polya's "How to Solve It" and Solow's "How to Read and Do Proofs", but ultimately decided to take a class at a university to learn more.
bfd
I plan on going onto grad school at some point in the near future and I know I could use a ton of work in the area of constructing proofs. What I'm looking for is a book that could shed some light on how this process is approached. That is to say for example maybe how a mathematician would approach constructing a proof or the thought process behind constructing proofs.

i'm considering getting the book Mathematical Thinking: Problem-Solving and Proofs (2nd Edition) by John P. D'Angelo

Any thoughts are always much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
tonight i just purchased a book titled "how to prove it" from books a million by Daniel J. Velleman i don't know how good it is yet because i haven't delved that far into the book.

RadiationX said:
tonight i just purchased a book titled "how to prove it" from books a million by Daniel J. Velleman i don't know how good it is yet because i haven't delved that far into the book.

It's pretty good at what it does (I purchased and read it about a year and a half ago). It's strictly introductory, though. It's designed for someone that has little to no experience actually constructing mathematical proofs.

I've heard Polya's "How to Solve It" is good. I just read Solow's "How to Read and Do Proofs", and it was okay. For me, the most helpful way has been to find a great book by a great author on some subject that interests you that contains lots of proofs. Study the masters, as Abel advised. Or get the solutions manual or a Schaum's.

Thank you all for the recommendations. I'll be sure to check out some of the titles mentioned. In the end though I may also just take a class at a university by my house that attempts to teach such a topic. I'm dying to get back into the university environment again.

What is a mathematical proof?

A mathematical proof is a logical argument that demonstrates the truth or validity of a mathematical statement or theorem. It is a step-by-step process that uses established axioms, definitions, and previously proven theorems to arrive at a conclusion.

Why are mathematical proofs important?

Mathematical proofs are important because they provide a rigorous and systematic way to verify the correctness of mathematical statements and theorems. They also serve as the foundation for the development of new mathematical concepts and theories.

What are some common techniques used in mathematical proofs?

Some common techniques used in mathematical proofs include direct proof, proof by contradiction, mathematical induction, and proof by cases. Each of these techniques has its own strengths and is applicable to different types of proofs.

Are there any resources available for learning about mathematical proofs?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning about mathematical proofs, including books, online courses, and academic journals. Some popular books on this topic include "How to Prove It" by Daniel Velleman and "Proofs from THE BOOK" by Martin Aigner and Günter M. Ziegler.

Can anyone learn how to write mathematical proofs?

Yes, anyone can learn how to write mathematical proofs with dedication and practice. While some people may have a natural aptitude for mathematical thinking, anyone can develop the necessary skills and techniques through studying and practicing proofs.