Rotation of a Rigid Body: Finding Center of Mass and Moment of Inertia

In summary: Yes. But there's a complication in that the equation ##I = (1/12) M L^2## assumes that you rotate about the center of mass of the rod. If you rotate about some other point (such as the center of mass of the whole system) then you would need to use a different formula for ##I## of the rod.Yes. But there's a complication in that the equation ##I = (1/12) M L^2## assumes that you rotate about the center of mass of the rod. If you rotate about some other point (such as the center of mass of the whole system) then you would need to use a different formula for ##I## of the rod.
Toranc3

Homework Statement

A 0.9 kg mass at (x, y) = (20 cm,20 cm) and a 2.0 kg mass at (20 cm,100 cm) are connected by a massless, rigid rod. They rotate about the center of mass.

Homework Equations

x=(m1*x1+m2*x2)/(m1+m2)

y=(m1*y1+m2*y2)/(m1+m2)

I=1/12*ML^(2)

The Attempt at a Solution

What are the coordinates of the center of mass?
I got 0.20m and 0.752m

What is the moment of inertia about the center of mass?

I used this 1/12*(m1+m2)*(L1x+L2x+L1y*L2y)^(2)
1/12*(0.9kg+2.0kg)*(.552-.248)^(2)

I get 0.02233kg*m^(2) but this is wrong. The answer is 0.397kg*m^(2)

What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Toranc3 said:
I=1/12*ML^(2)
This is the formula for the moment of inertia of a rod with mass. The rod in your problem is massless.

You have two point particles. So, you need to know how to determine the moment of inertia of a point particle.

TSny said:
This is the formula for the moment of inertia of a rod with mass. The rod in your problem is massless.

You have two point particles. So, you need to know how to determine the moment of inertia of a point particle.

Ah I see. Since there is a y component how would I go about doing that? would I have to subtract each of the masses components with the components of the center of mass?

Toranc3 said:
Ah I see. Since there is a y component how would I go about doing that? would I have to subtract each of the masses components with the components of the center of mass?
If you're talking about finding the distance of each mass from the axis of rotation (center of mass point), then yes.

TSny said:
If you're talking about finding the distance of each mass from the axis of rotation (center of mass point), then yes.

Thanks! :)

TSny said:

What if the question gave a mass for the rod? I would then use the rods interia formula and add the rods inertia to the masses inertia? would that be correct?

Yes. But there's a complication in that the equation ##I = (1/12) M L^2## assumes that you rotate about the center of mass of the rod. If you rotate about some other point (such as the center of mass of the whole system) then you would need to use a different formula for ##I## of the rod.

TSny said:

I have another question sorry. At what angle with respect to that axis of the rod should 1.2N forces be applied to each mass to give the torque you find in part c?

Torque= 0.828N*m

I am assuming this formula will be used

Torque=Frsin(theta) I am stuck with my r.

By definition, r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the point of application of the force.

TSny said:
By definition, r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the point of application of the force.

Man every time you answer my question I keep going "oooohh" I should have known that. I am not thinking straight today sorry. But thank you so much for your help. :).

1. What is the definition of "rotation of a rigid body"?

The rotation of a rigid body is the movement of an object around a fixed axis or point, where all points of the object move in circular paths at the same rate and maintain the same distance from the axis or point.

2. What is the difference between rotational and translational motion?

Rotational motion involves the movement of an object around a fixed axis or point, while translational motion involves the movement of an object in a straight line without any rotation.

3. How is rotational motion measured?

Rotational motion is measured in terms of angular displacement, angular velocity, and angular acceleration. Angular displacement is the change in angular position, angular velocity is the rate of change of angular displacement, and angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity.

4. What factors affect the rotational motion of a rigid body?

The rotational motion of a rigid body is affected by its mass, shape, and distribution of mass, as well as the torque applied to the object. The moment of inertia, which is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion, also plays a role.

5. How is rotational motion related to energy?

Rotational motion has a direct relationship with energy, as work must be done to rotate a rigid body. The energy of a rotating object is dependent on its moment of inertia, angular velocity, and angular acceleration.