Heisenberg equation of motion for the Dirac field?

In summary, the Heisenberg equation of motion for the Dirac field can be obtained from the Hamiltonian in terms of the field itself by decomposing the commutator into anti-commutators and using the identity [A,BC] = {A,B}C - B{C,A}. The calculation involves the use of anti-commutation rules for the Dirac field and identities such as [H,\psi_j]=2H\psi_j-\{H,\psi_j\}. When evaluating the commutator, it is important to keep track of the ordering of the field operators and to use anti-commutators to simplify the expression. This method can be applied to show that \gamma^0 H\psi
pellman
I would expect that the Heisenberg equation of motion for the Dirac field would yield the Dirac equation. Indeed, these lecture notes claim it as a fact in eq 7.7 but without proof. My trouble is that I know the anti-commutation rules for the Dirac field but I don't know how to calculate the commutator with Hamiltonian, even if the Hamiltonian is expressed in terms of the field itself.

Can someone here provide some hints or tips?

Here is an old thread I started years ago on the same question.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=235116

Physics news on Phys.org
The trick is to decompose the commutator in terms of anti-commutators. Since the Hamiltonian for the Dirac field is quadratic in the fermion fields, you use identities such as

[tex]
[A,BC] = \{A,B\}C - B\{C,A\}
[/tex]

Since you know these anti-commutators, the rest of the calculation is straight-forward.

Using the lagrangian (in natural units)

[tex]\mathcal{L}=\bar{\psi}(i\gamma^\mu \partial_\mu -m)\psi[/tex]

where [itex]\psi(x)[/itex] is the 4-spinor field and [itex]\bar{\psi}={\psi}^\dagger \gamma^0[/itex] we get the Hamiltonian

[tex]H=\int{\bar{\psi}(x')(-i\vec{\gamma}\cdot\nabla + m)\psi(x')d^3x'}[/tex]

where [itex]\vec{\gamma}[/itex] are three space gamma matrices. The commutation rule is

[tex]\{\psi_j(\vec{x},t),\psi^{\dagger}_k (\vec{x}',t)\}=\delta_{jk}\delta^3(\vec{x}-\vec{x}')[/tex]

Using [itex][H,\psi_j]=2H\psi_j-\{H,\psi_j\}[/itex] we get for the Heisenberg equation of motion

[tex]-i\partial_t \psi_j=[H,\psi_j]=2H\psi_j-\{H,\psi_j\}[/tex]

[tex]\{H,\psi_j\}=-i{\gamma^0}_{jk}\vec{\gamma}_{kl}\cdot\nabla\psi_l + m{\gamma^0}_{jk}\psi_k[/tex]

Multiplying by [itex]\gamma^0[/itex] and rearranging, we get

[tex]2\gamma^0 H\psi+(i\gamma^\mu \partial_\mu -m)\psi=0[/tex]

So for the Heisenberg equation of motion to be equivalent to the Dirac equation would require that [itex]\gamma^0 H\psi =0[/itex]. But I don't know how to show that is the case. Or maybe I went wrong somewhere?

Your evaluation of {H,ψ} is not correct. If you write it out, and keep track of the ordering of the ψ's, you will find that you don't get the anticommutator of ψ and ψ, but rather the commutator (and this doesn't simplify). You need to follow the previous suggestion to get this to work.

pellman said:
Using the lagrangian (in natural units)

[tex]\mathcal{L}=\bar{\psi}(i\gamma^\mu \partial_\mu -m)\psi[/tex]

where [itex]\psi(x)[/itex] is the 4-spinor field and [itex]\bar{\psi}={\psi}^\dagger \gamma^0[/itex] we get the Hamiltonian

[tex]H=\int{\bar{\psi}(x')(-i\vec{\gamma}\cdot\nabla + m)\psi(x')d^3x'}[/tex]

where [itex]\vec{\gamma}[/itex] are three space gamma matrices. The commutation rule is

[tex]\{\psi_j(\vec{x},t),\psi^{\dagger}_k (\vec{x}',t)\}=\delta_{jk}\delta^3(\vec{x}-\vec{x}')[/tex]

Using [itex][H,\psi_j]=2H\psi_j-\{H,\psi_j\}[/itex] we get for the Heisenberg equation of motion

[tex]-i\partial_t \psi_j=[H,\psi_j]=2H\psi_j-\{H,\psi_j\}[/tex]

[tex]\{H,\psi_j\}=-i{\gamma^0}_{jk}\vec{\gamma}_{kl}\cdot\nabla\psi_l + m{\gamma^0}_{jk}\psi_k[/tex]

Multiplying by [itex]\gamma^0[/itex] and rearranging, we get

[tex]2\gamma^0 H\psi+(i\gamma^\mu \partial_\mu -m)\psi=0[/tex]

So for the Heisenberg equation of motion to be equivalent to the Dirac equation would require that [itex]\gamma^0 H\psi =0[/itex]. But I don't know how to show that is the case. Or maybe I went wrong somewhere?

I tried looking in "Peskin & Schroeder" and they skirt the issue. In the case of boson fields, they prove that [itex][H, \phi] = i \frac{d}{dt} \phi[/itex], but then they don't prove that for fermion fields.

On the one hand, it's got to be true, since they claim that [itex]\psi(\vec{x}, t) = e^{-iHt/\hbar} \psi(x,0) e^{+i Ht/\hbar}[/itex], but I'm with you, I don't see how it reproduces the Dirac equation.

Likes 1 person
Avodyne said:
Your evaluation of {H,ψ} is not correct. If you write it out, and keep track of the ordering of the ψ's, you will find that you don't get the anticommutator of ψ and ψ, but rather the commutator (and this doesn't simplify). You need to follow the previous suggestion to get this to work.

I don't think so. You can see my steps in this image. http://s23.postimg.org/c8bzm0yej/dirac_commutator.jpg

Okay, we're trying to compute the commutator:

[itex][H, \psi(x)][/itex]

[itex]H[/itex] has the form [itex]\int d^3y\ \psi^\dagger(y)_\alpha \ O_{\alpha\beta}\ \psi(y)_\beta [/itex]

where [itex]O[/itex] involves gamma matrices, and the gradient and the mass, and so forth. Let's just look at [itex][H, \psi(x)_\tau][/itex], one component. For simplicity, I'm going to leave off the integral sign, because it's easy enough to restore them later. So we have

[itex]\psi^\dagger(y)_\alpha \ O_{\alpha\beta}\ \psi(y)_\beta\ \psi(x)_\tau
- \psi(x)_\tau\ \psi^\dagger(y)_\alpha \ O_{\alpha\beta}\ \psi(y)_\beta[/itex]

We can write [itex]\psi(x)_\tau\ \psi^\dagger(y)_\alpha = \delta_{\tau \alpha} \delta^3(x-y) - \psi^\dagger(y)_\alpha\ \psi(x)_\tau[/itex]. So substituting this into the above expression gives:

[itex]\psi^\dagger(y)_\alpha \ O_{\alpha\beta}\ \psi(y)_\beta\ \psi(x)_\tau
- \delta_{\tau \alpha} \delta^3(x-y)\ O_{\alpha\beta}\ \psi(y)_\beta
+ \psi^\dagger(y)_\alpha\ \psi(x)_\tau\ O_{\alpha\beta}\ \psi(y)_\beta[/itex]

Now, we can rewrite [itex]\psi(x)_\tau\ O_{\alpha\beta} = O_{\alpha\beta}\ \psi(x)_\tau[/itex].

The reason why is because [itex]O_{\alpha \beta}[/itex] is not a matrix, but a single cell of a matrix. It's a scalar whose only operator part is [itex]\nabla[/itex], but since [itex]\nabla[/itex] is a derivative with respect to [itex]y[/itex], not [itex]x[/itex], so it doesn't affect [itex]\psi(x)[/itex]. So they commute. So rearranging the three terms gives:

[itex]- \delta_{\tau \alpha} \delta^3(x-y)\ O_{\alpha\beta}\ \psi(y)_\beta
+ \psi^\dagger(y)_\alpha \ O_{\alpha\beta}\ \psi(y)_\beta\ \psi(x)_\tau
+ \psi^\dagger(y)_\alpha\ O_{\alpha\beta}\ \psi(x)_\tau\ \psi(y)_\beta[/itex]

The last two terms can be combined using an anti-commutator, giving:

[itex]- \delta_{\tau \alpha} \delta^3(x-y)\ O_{\alpha\beta}\ \psi(y)_\beta
+ \psi^\dagger(y)_\alpha \ O_{\alpha\beta}\ \{ \psi(y)_\beta, \psi(x)_\tau \} [/itex]

Since the anti-commutator is zero, we just get

[itex]- \delta_{\tau \alpha} \delta^3(x-y)\ O_{\alpha\beta}\ \psi(y)_\beta[/itex]

After restoring the integral, and summing over the matrix indices, we have:

[itex]- O_{\tau \beta}\ \psi(x)_\beta = - (O\ \psi(x))_\tau[/itex]

I think the operator [itex]O[/itex] is just [itex]-i \alpha \cdot \nabla + \beta m[/itex]. So I think it works out. Since there are two field operators in [itex]H[/itex], I think you get the same answer regardless of whether you use commutators or anti-commutators.

Likes 1 person
pellman said:
I don't think so. You can see my steps in this image. http://s23.postimg.org/c8bzm0yej/dirac_commutator.jpg

I think I see the problem in your derivation: You write:

[itex]m \psi_k^\dagger(x',t) \gamma^0_{kl} \psi_l(x',t) \psi_j(x, t)[/itex]
[itex]= + m \psi_k^\dagger(x',t) \psi_j(x, t) \gamma^0_{kl} \psi_l(x',t)[/itex]

I think the right-hand side should be a minus sign, since the field operators anti-commute. Similarly for other terms.

Likes 1 person
stevendaryl said:
I think the right-hand side should be a minus sign, since the field operators anti-commute. Similarly for other terms.

Right. Thanks! I will look over your other post closely and get back asap.

That the field operators anti-commute was the key! It all fell right into place. Big thanks!

1. What is the Heisenberg equation of motion for the Dirac field?

The Heisenberg equation of motion for the Dirac field is a mathematical equation that describes the time evolution of a quantum field. Specifically, it is used to calculate the change in the field with respect to time, taking into account the effects of quantum mechanics and special relativity.

2. How is the Heisenberg equation of motion for the Dirac field derived?

The Heisenberg equation of motion for the Dirac field is derived from the Dirac equation, which is a relativistic wave equation that describes the behavior of fermions (particles with half-integer spin). By applying certain mathematical operators to the Dirac equation, one can obtain the Heisenberg equation of motion.

3. What is the significance of the Heisenberg equation of motion for the Dirac field?

The Heisenberg equation of motion for the Dirac field is significant because it allows us to make predictions about the behavior of fermions at the quantum level. This is important because fermions make up most of the matter in the universe, and understanding their behavior is crucial for understanding the fundamental laws of nature.

4. How does the Heisenberg equation of motion for the Dirac field differ from the Schrödinger equation?

The Heisenberg equation of motion for the Dirac field is a relativistic equation that takes into account the effects of special relativity, while the Schrödinger equation is a non-relativistic equation. Additionally, the Heisenberg equation of motion is an operator equation, while the Schrödinger equation is a wave equation.

5. Can the Heisenberg equation of motion for the Dirac field be applied to other types of quantum fields?

Yes, the Heisenberg equation of motion can be applied to other types of quantum fields, such as scalar fields and vector fields. However, the specific form of the equation may vary depending on the field being studied.