Origins of the electromagnetic force

In summary, the electric charge of a particle is intrinsic to it and comes from the interaction with photons.
Crapsghetti
I saw a very old post where someone asked where an electron gets it's charge. Where does the charge come from? Doesn't it arise from the interaction with photons? My understanding is that electric charge and magnetism can not exist without photons, and the electron itself most likely could not exist independent either, a kind of relativistic quality. Can a single photon ever exist in a void without electrons? I don't think so.

I suppose that the electromagnetic force is created by an exchange of photons between charges, but is the charge itself also created by this photon interaction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Crapsghetti said:
I suppose that the electromagnetic force is created by an exchange of photons between charges, but is the charge itself also created by this photon interaction?

Hi Crapsghetti, and welcome to PF! Electric charge is an intrinsic property of particles, i.e. it is there from the beginning, i.e. it is not created by any interaction. "Where do these charges come from?", or, better put, what is the origin of these charges? We have no information about that (today) - it is simply a feature of the particles as we know them.

Last edited:
Seems like an interaction to me. Can you really have a charge that doesn't emit photons? Can you have a photon that did not come from a charge? They seem linked to me. With out one the other can not exist.

Last edited:
Question 1 to consider: How do you get from

Crapsghetti said:
Can you really have a charge that doesn't emit photons? Can you have a photon that did not come from a charge? They seem linked to me. (my bolding)
to
Crapsghetti said:
but is the charge itself also created by this photon interaction? (my bolding)

Question 2 to consider: Where do the fractional electric charges ([itex]\pm 1/3[/itex], [itex]\pm 2/3[/itex]) of the quarks/antiquarks come from?

Crapsghetti said:
I saw a very old post where someone asked where an electron gets it's charge. Where does the charge come from?
The same place that the electron came from. :wink:

Crapsghetti said:
Can you have a photon that did not come from a charge?

Yes. Some non-linear crystals will split 1 photon into 2 photons.

Crapsghetti said:
Seems like an interaction to me. Can you really have a charge that doesn't emit photons? Can you have a photon that did not come from a charge? They seem linked to me. With out one the other can not exist.

Well the electric charge of a particle is *defined* to be the strength with which it couples to photons. So if there were no photons to couple to, then electric charge would be meaningless.

Crapsghetti said:

You can - there is no mathematical reason you can't have a property of charge with no field and conversely. But when you go into the math, notably the gauge symmetry view, one practically screams out for the other. To be specific given the electric field E you define ∇.E = p and show that p, plus a few reasonableness assumptions, has all the properties of that interesting thing called charge - specifically charge density.

The following by Kobe gives the detail if you can get a hold of it:
http://inspirehep.net/record/157843/citations

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
DrChinese said:
Yes. Some non-linear crystals will split 1 photon into 2 photons.

Hmm... but the original photon must have come from a charge and the 2 photons might as well be one, right? My understanding of quantum physics is pretty naive lol. I guess a photon could create a photon. So, you got me.

DennisN said:
Question 1 to consider: How do you get from

to

Question 2 to consider: Where do the fractional electric charges ([itex]\pm 1/3[/itex], [itex]\pm 2/3[/itex]) of the quarks/antiquarks come from?

Okay, so you are saying that there is an interaction, but the they do not create each other.

And for your question 2, it's the exchange of gluons, duh! Can a gluon exist without a quark? Can a quark exist without gluons?

bhobba said:
You can - there is no mathematical reason you can't have a property of charge with no field and conversely. But when you go into the math, notably the gauge symmetry view, one practically screams out for the other. To be specific given the electric field E you define ∇.E = p and show that p, plus a few reasonableness assumptions, has all the properties of that interesting thing called charge - specifically charge density.

The following by Kobe gives the detail if you can get a hold of it:
http://inspirehep.net/record/157843/citations

Thanks
Bill

That is very interesting. I will try to read that later. I'm in a biochemistry internship. I don't know why I like physics. I think it's just because I like to think about stuff.

Anyway, sorry for the three posts in a row. I don't see how that kind of thing is bad forum etiquette. To me, it neatly spaces out each reply I gave to each poster. It is at least an organized way of triple posting.

Hosanna!

1. What is the electromagnetic force?

The electromagnetic force is one of the four fundamental forces of nature, along with gravity, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force. It is responsible for the interactions between electrically charged particles and is the force that holds atoms and molecules together.

2. How was the electromagnetic force discovered?

The electromagnetic force was first discovered and described by the physicist James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century. He combined the laws of electricity and magnetism and proposed the concept of electromagnetic waves, which led to the development of modern electromagnetism.

3. What are the origins of the electromagnetic force?

The origins of the electromagnetic force can be traced back to the fundamental properties of electrically charged particles, such as electrons and protons. These particles have an electric charge, which creates an electric field around them. When these particles move, they also create a magnetic field, which can interact with other particles.

4. How does the electromagnetic force work?

The electromagnetic force works by attracting or repelling particles with opposite or like charges, respectively. It is also responsible for the interactions between electrically charged particles and electromagnetic fields, such as light. This force is carried by particles called photons, which are the fundamental particles of light.

5. What are some real-world applications of the electromagnetic force?

The electromagnetic force has a wide range of applications in our daily lives. Some examples include electricity, which powers our homes and devices, and magnetism, which is used in motors and generators. The electromagnetic force is also essential in technologies such as radios, televisions, and computers, which use electromagnetic waves to transmit information. Medical imaging techniques, such as MRI, also rely on the electromagnetic force to produce images of the human body.