Hints for Solving a System of Nonlinear Trigonometric Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses a system of trigonometric equations with an unknown solution of theta1, theta2, theta3, theta4, and theta5. The constants theta, phi, psi, Px, Py, Pz, l1, l2, l3, l4, l5, d1, d2, d3, d4, and d5 are also mentioned. The conversation also suggests using iteration and Mathematica to solve the equations.
mikeley
Hello,

I have a system of trigonometric equations from which I should find theta1,..., theta5. Is it possible you can give me a hint on how to proceed. Thanks.

theta, phi, psi, Px, Py, Pz, l1, l2, l3, l4, l5, d1, d2, d3, d4, d5 are all constants.

Cos[t1+t2] Cos[t3+t4] Cos[t5]+Sin[t1+t2] Sin[t5]=Cos[phi] Cos[theta]

Cos[t5] Sin[t1+t2]-Cos[t1+t2] Cos[t3+t4] Sin[t5]=Cos[theta] Sin[phi] Sin[psi]-Cos[psi] Sin[theta]

Cos[t1+t2] Sin[t3+t4]=Cos[psi] Cos[theta] Sin[phi]+Sin[psi] Sin[theta]

l1Cos[t1]+Cos[t1+t2] (l2+l3 Cos[t3]+Cos[t3+t4] (l4+l5 Cos[t5])+d5 Sin[t3+t4])+Sin[t1+t2] (d3+d4+l5 Sin[t5])=Px

Cos[t3+t4] Cos[t5] Sin[t1+t2]-Cos[t1+t2] Sin[t5]=Cos[phi] Sin[theta]

-Cos[t1+t2] Cos[t5]-Cos[t3+t4] Sin[t1+t2] Sin[t5]=Cos[psi] Cos[theta]+Sin[phi] Sin[psi] Sin[theta]

l1Sin[t1]+Sin[t1+t2] (l2+l3 Cos[t3]+Cos[t3+t4] (l4+l5 Cos[t5])+d5 Sin[t3+t4])-Cos[t1+t2] (d3+d4+l5 Sin[t5])=Py

Sin[t1+t2] Sin[t3+t4]=-Cos[theta] Sin[psi]+Cos[psi] Sin[phi] Sin[theta] Cos[t5] Sin[t3+t4]-Sin[phi]-Sin[t3+t4] Sin[t5]=Cos[phi] Sin[psi]

-Cos[t3+t4]=Cos[phi]Cos[psi]

d1+d2-d5 Cos[t3+t4]+l3 Sin[t3]+(l4+l5 Cos[t5]) Sin[t3+t4]=Pz

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yikes! A little more readability can't hurt:
(https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997) << read this!

mikeley said:
[tex]
\cos \left( t_1+t_2 \right) \cos \left( t_3+t_4 \right) \cos t_5 +\sin \left( t_1+t_2 \right) \sin t_5 =\cos \phi \cos \theta
[/tex]

[tex]
\cos t_5 \sin \left( t_1+t_2 \right) -\cos \left( t_1+t_2 \right) \cos \left( t_3+t_4 \right) \sin t_5 =\cos \theta \sin \phi \sin \psi -\cos \psi \sin \theta
[/tex]

[tex]
\cos \left( t_1+t_2 \right) \sin \left( t_3+t_4 \right) =\cos \psi \cos \theta \sin \phi +\sin \psi \sin \theta
[/tex]

[tex]
l_1\cos t_1 +\cos \left( t_1+t_2 \right) (l_2+l_3 \cos t_3 +\cos \left( t_3+t_4 \right) (l_4+l_5 \cos t_5 )+d_5 \sin \left( t_3+t_4 \right) )+\sin \left( t_1+t_2 \right) (d_3+d_4+l_5 \sin t_5 )=P_x
[/tex]

[tex]
\cos \left( t_3+t_4 \right) \cos t_5 \sin \left( t_1+t_2 \right) -\cos \left( t_1+t_2 \right) \sin t_5 =\cos \phi \sin \theta
[/tex]

[tex]
-\cos \left( t_1+t_2 \right) \cos t_5 -\cos \left( t_3+t_4 \right) \sin \left( t_1+t_2 \right) \sin t_5 =\cos \psi \cos \theta +\sin \phi \sin \psi \sin \theta
[/tex]

[tex]
l_1\sin t_1 +\sin \left( t_1+t_2 \right) (l_2+l_3 \cos t_3 +\cos \left( t_3+t_4 \right) (l_4+l_5 \cos t_5 )+d_5 \sin \left( t_3+t_4 \right) )-\cos \left( t_1+t_2 \right) (d_3+d_4+l_5 \sin t_5 )=P_y
[/tex]

[tex]
\sin \left( t_1+t_2 \right) \sin \left( t_3+t_4 \right) =-\cos \theta \sin \psi +\cos \psi \sin \phi \sin \theta \cos t_5 \sin \left( t_3+t_4 \right) -\sin \phi -\sin \left( t_3+t_4 \right) \sin t_5 =\cos \phi \sin \psi
[/tex]

[tex]
-\cos \left( t_3+t_4 \right) =\cos \phi \cos \psi
[/tex]

[tex]
d_1+d_2-d_5 \cos \left( t_3+t_4 \right) +l_3 \sin t_3 +(l_4+l_5 \cos t_5 ) \sin \left( t_3+t_4 \right) =P_z[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
mikeley said:
Hello,

I have a system of trigonometric equations from which I should find theta1,..., theta5. Is it possible you can give me a hint on how to proceed. Thanks.

theta, phi, psi, Px, Py, Pz, l1, l2, l3, l4, l5, d1, d2, d3, d4, d5 are all constants.

Feel like posting the values for all these constants?

Then me anyway, in some desperate attempt at approaching it, I would then convert each to:

[tex]t1=f(t1,t2,t3,t4,t5; constants)[/tex]

[tex]t2=g(t1,t2,t3,t4,t5;constants)[/tex]

and so on and then use iteration of some sort to analyze if it converges to a solution. There is a sufficiency condition for this sort of iteration to converge to a solution and involves the partials of each function above.

Oh yea, I'd rely heavily on Mathematica too. :smile:

Edit: I just noticed you have 10 equation and one in particular:

[tex]-\cos \left( t_3+t_4 \right) =\cos \phi \cos \psi [/tex]

You can immediately start cleaning them up by substituting this one and it's Sin equivalent.

Last edited:
I change my mind. I can do that. There're 9 equations in 9 unknowns. For example:

[tex]Cos[t1+t2]=u1[/tex]

What are the rest?

Thanks a lot. I managed to get the reduction you mentioned.

1. What is a system of nonlinear equations?

A system of nonlinear equations is a set of two or more equations that involve variables raised to a power other than 1. These equations do not have a straight line as their graph and can be difficult to solve using traditional algebraic methods.

2. How do you solve a system of nonlinear equations?

There are multiple methods for solving a system of nonlinear equations, including graphing, substitution, and elimination. Graphing involves plotting the equations on a coordinate plane and finding the points of intersection. Substitution involves solving one equation for a variable and plugging it into the other equation. Elimination involves adding or subtracting the equations to eliminate a variable.

3. What is the difference between linear and nonlinear equations?

Linear equations have variables raised to the power of 1 and have a straight line as their graph. Nonlinear equations have variables raised to a power other than 1 and have a curved graph.

4. Can a system of nonlinear equations have more than two variables?

Yes, a system of nonlinear equations can have any number of variables. However, the number of equations in the system must be equal to the number of variables in order for the system to be solvable.

5. Are there real-world applications for systems of nonlinear equations?

Yes, systems of nonlinear equations have many real-world applications, such as modeling the growth of populations, predicting the trajectory of a projectile, and analyzing chemical reactions. They are also commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.