What are some career options for physics and computer science graduates?

In summary: So you might want to include that in the list of careers you are considering.In summary, the conversation was about potential careers for an undergraduate majoring in physics and computer science. Teaching and research assistant positions were mentioned, as well as various careers in programming and game physics. The importance of considering job openings and statistics in the field was also emphasized. Additionally, the option of pursuing a double-major in physics and CS and the popularity of computational physics were mentioned.
Tony11235
I'm an undergraduate majoring in physics and computer science. I plan to go to graduate school, assuming I can get accepted...somewhere. But, let's say, right after graduation, what are some immediate careerss one could have? I already have an idea of some of the various careers of course, but I'd still like to hear other opinions.

Physics news on Phys.org
None of us know what ideas you have in mind for future careers.

Teaching is one. Depending on how far you go in your field of study will determine what level you will most likely be teaching at.

Look I'm basically just asking WHAT CAREERS ARE THERE? Apart from teaching. This doesn't mean that I have no idea what careers exist. I should have stated that properly the first time.

mmm well, lab rat(RA), with cs you can get mostly anything to do with programming depending on what connections you have and how good you are...
as for physics...RA prolly your best bet as an UG. and phys/cs---game physics.

Tony11235 said:
I'm an undergraduate majoring in physics and computer science. I plan to go to graduate school, assuming I can get accepted...somewhere. But, let's say, right after graduation, what are some immediate careerss one could have? I already have an idea of some of the various careers of course, but I'd still like to hear other opinions.

I'm assuming when you say "right after graduation", that you meant right after graduation with your B.Sc degree, because I hope you're not planning on doing a Ph.D double-major in physics and CS (if you are, then you deserve it).

I posted this already, but as happened many times, it gets "swallowed" over time (I should put this in my Journal along with the other job links). You may want to look at this most recent statistics of people with B.Sc in physics:

http://www.aps.org/units/fed/newsletters/summer2005/hehn.html

Also somewhere in here are links to the various sites having job openings for physicists. Nothing tells you a better overview of what kinds of jobs available out there than looking at the want-ads.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
I'm assuming when you say "right after graduation", that you meant right after graduation with your B.Sc degree, because I hope you're not planning on doing a Ph.D double-major in physics and CS (if you are, then you deserve it).

I posted this already, but as happened many times, it gets "swallowed" over time (I should put this in my Journal along with the other job links). You may want to look at this most recent statistics of people with B.Sc in physics:

http://www.aps.org/units/fed/newsletters/summer2005/hehn.html

Also somewhere in here are links to the various sites having job openings for physicists. Nothing tells you a better overview of what kinds of jobs available out there than looking at the want-ads.

Zz.

P.S. I forgot to add that computational physics is a very popular major, especially at the graduate level.

1. What is the relationship between physics and computer science?

Physics and computer science are closely related fields that often overlap in their principles and applications. Physics provides the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of the physical world, while computer science uses these principles to develop algorithms and programs that model and simulate physical phenomena.

2. How does computer science contribute to the study of physics?

Computer science has greatly enhanced the study of physics by providing powerful tools for data analysis, simulations, and modeling. With the use of computer programs, physicists are able to analyze large amounts of data, simulate complex systems, and visualize abstract concepts, leading to a deeper understanding of the physical world.

3. Can computer science be used to solve real-world physics problems?

Yes, computer science plays a crucial role in solving real-world physics problems. For example, computer simulations are used to predict the behavior of complex systems such as weather patterns, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics. Additionally, computer algorithms are used to analyze data from experiments and make predictions about physical phenomena.

4. What are some applications of computer science in physics?

Computer science has numerous applications in physics, including but not limited to: data analysis, simulations, modeling, artificial intelligence, machine learning, and quantum computing. These applications have greatly advanced our understanding of the physical world and have led to technological innovations in various fields.

5. How can studying both physics and computer science benefit a student?

Studying both physics and computer science can provide a well-rounded education and open up a wide range of career opportunities. It allows students to develop critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and a strong foundation in mathematical and computational methods. This combination of disciplines can lead to careers in fields such as research, engineering, data science, and software development.