Fundamental Interactions Problem

In summary, the question asks for the type of fundamental interaction between the atoms of the floor and the ball that causes the ball to rebound upward. The possible options are strong nuclear, electromagnetic, weak nuclear, some combination of the above, some other kind of interaction. After eliminating strong and weak nuclear interactions, and considering that the question only focuses on the rebound upward, the most likely answer is electromagnetic. This is because the rebound involves contact interactions, which are essentially complicated electromagnetic interactions. Therefore, the final answer is (b) electromagnetic.
eraemia

Homework Statement

Imagine that I throw a ball toward the floor. It hits the floor and rebounds upward. What type of fundamental interaction between the atoms of the floor and the ball causes the ball to rebound upward?

a. Strong nuclear
b. Electromagnetic
c. Weak nuclear
d. Gravitational
e. Some combination of the above
f. Some other kind of interaction

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

If the question is indeed only concerned with the rebound upward and not its descent, then I could first eliminate (d) gravitational interaction as a possible answer (I am not sure about this). Since this is a macroscopic interaction, I also eliminate (a) and (c). Because I am only left with (b) out of the above interactions, I can eliminate (e).

If my reasoning is correct so far, the answer is either (b) or (f). It seems that the rebound upward would have something to do with a type of contact interaction--friction, compression, or tension. Is (d) still a possible answer, since if gravity were stronger, the ball could not rebound? If it is the case that all contact interactions are really just complicated electromagnetic interactions, should I confidently place (b) as my final answer?

I cannot be confident about choosing any answer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
David

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i say 'b'

if I am correct, there are only 4 types of "fundamental interaction".

Thanks for your reply, rootx.

I am a bit confused about the question, because while it indeed asks for a type of fundamental interaction, of which there are only four, it presents the options: some other kind of interaction. Do the contact interactions I mentioned in my original post account for the rebound, and is it because that they are in fact electromagnetic interactions, that you have chosen (b) as your final answer?

yes.
I thought of EM even before reading those provided options.

Okay, thanks for your help.

What is the "Fundamental Interactions Problem"?

The Fundamental Interactions Problem, also known as the "Theory of Everything" problem, is a long-standing question in physics that seeks to unify the four known fundamental forces of nature: gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force. It aims to explain how these forces work together to govern the behavior of all matter and energy in the universe.

Why is it important to solve the "Fundamental Interactions Problem"?

Solving the Fundamental Interactions Problem is crucial for our understanding of the universe and for making progress in other areas of physics. It would provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of nature and potentially lead to new discoveries and technologies. Additionally, finding a unified theory would remove the inconsistencies and limitations of current theories and allow for a more complete understanding of the universe.

What are the challenges in solving the "Fundamental Interactions Problem"?

One of the main challenges in solving the Fundamental Interactions Problem is the vast differences in scale between the four forces. For example, gravity is much weaker than the other three forces, making it difficult to reconcile with the other forces in a unified theory. Additionally, there is currently no experimental evidence or mathematical framework that can fully explain the interactions between all four forces.

What progress has been made towards solving the "Fundamental Interactions Problem"?

Over the years, scientists have made significant progress towards understanding the fundamental forces and their interactions. The Standard Model of particle physics, which describes three of the four forces (excluding gravity), has been extremely successful in predicting and explaining the behavior of subatomic particles. Various theories, such as string theory and loop quantum gravity, have also been proposed as potential solutions to the Fundamental Interactions Problem.

How close are we to solving the "Fundamental Interactions Problem"?

While significant progress has been made, the Fundamental Interactions Problem still remains unsolved. Scientists continue to conduct experiments and develop theories in hopes of finding a unified theory that can fully explain all four forces. It is a complex and ongoing pursuit that will likely require further advancements in technology and collaboration among researchers from different fields to reach a complete understanding of the fundamental interactions in our universe.