Why Do People Laugh? Understanding Laughter & What's Funny

• Thread starter e(ho0n3
  • Start date
In summary: We need to think about the brain as a software device. It is a computer, it processes information. Can information be processed without software? DNA is software. We feel better after laughter because our ram held concerns have been weakened by the reboot. What else could be explained by bio-rebooting.
e(ho0n3
I don't know if this has been asked already, but does anybody why people laugh? For example, when you here a funny joke, you are inclined to laugh. Why is this? What meaning does laughter have? This also leads me to another question: What makes something funny?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are many theories of laughter.

Judging by the standards of this message board, I can assure you that there will even be a genetico-racist explanation for laughter (something like: "whites invented laughter when they saw how miserable the blacks were doing").

I hope that made you laugh. If it didn't, I'm black ;-)

Last edited:
I wanted to take a course on behavioral psychology just to learn about this sort of thing, but I never did. Now I'm left pondering. Is there active research in this area?

All I know is that laughter is contagious.

e(ho0n3 said:
I wanted to take a course on behavioral psychology just to learn about this sort of thing, but I never did. Now I'm left pondering. Is there active research in this area?

Of course there is.

But why would you take the road into laughter via behavioral psychology? There are many more approaches. Behavioral psychology is pretty boring, but that's my personal opinion.

Why don't you start with a more deep, intellectually challenging route? That of social and cultural anthropology.

They've written quite a lot about the meaning of laughter and how and why it works.

Behavioral psychology is a very small branch of science, and not very self-relfective.

New issue: I've heard the quote: "Research shows your body doesn't know the difference between a real smile and a fake one."
Is there real science behind this?

Laughter is a localised software reboot. Take a joke for instance. We hear it, its new, its got incongruity, we laugh. The brains software can't deal with the incongruity. The input/output IO map seems to be in error. The language process software reboots. Simple. The incongruity it still there. We have another reboot. Hence the cyclic nature of laughter. After a number of reboots the incongruity becomes less incongruous. Rebooting stops. Think about your computer experience. We need to think about the brain as a software device. It is a computer, it processes information. Can information be processed without software? DNA is software. We feel better after laughter because our ram held concerns have been weakened by the reboot. What else could be explained by bio-rebooting. What about stammering, epilepsy and the biggest reboot of all, the oohh orgasm. Can you count to three during an orgasm. No. Your brain is off-line to you. You could be on another planet. Thinking about the brain as a software device will open a new window to gaze through and look thoughfully upon the human condition. Why not get University Computer Science Departments brainstorming with the
neurologists.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Why do people laugh?

People laugh as a way to express joy, amusement, or happiness. It is a natural, instinctive response to certain stimuli, such as jokes, funny situations, or even just being in a good mood.

2. Is laughter just a social behavior or does it serve a purpose?

While laughter is often seen as a social behavior, it also serves an important purpose. It can help relieve stress and tension, improve mood, and strengthen social bonds. Laughter also has physical benefits, such as boosting the immune system and reducing pain.

3. Why do we find some things funny and not others?

What someone finds funny can be influenced by a variety of factors, including personal experiences, cultural influences, and individual sense of humor. Additionally, some things may be funny in certain contexts but not in others.

4. Can laughter be learned or is it innate?

While some people may have a more natural inclination towards laughter, it is ultimately a learned behavior. Babies start laughing around 3-4 months old, and as they grow and experience more, they learn what makes them laugh and how to express it.

5. Is there a difference between genuine and fake laughter?

Yes, there is a difference between genuine and fake laughter. Genuine laughter is a natural response to something that is genuinely funny, while fake laughter is a conscious effort to mimic the sound of laughter. Fake laughter does not have the same physiological and emotional benefits as genuine laughter.