Could square wave propagate without modulation?

In summary: However, since the loop is tuned to 1MHz, the higher frequency components (above 100MHz) will also be resonant.
genxium

Homework Statement

I'm going to do the experiment that generates a square wave using the 555 timer this weekend, but I'm wondering why sometimes we have to modulate the square waves to sin waves, and decode them in the terminal receiver?

Could square wave(or any other non-sin wave) itself just propagate in the air or vacuum or any media without modulation?

Homework Equations

Is it because of diffraction while propagating? Maybe the intervals between some material molecules may cause a bad influenced diffraction, for low frequency square wave?

The Attempt at a Solution

I suppose it's mainly about diffraction for low frequency wave, is it? Any idea is appreciated~

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you compare the frequency content of a sine wave to a square wave, does that give you any ideas?

lewando said:
If you compare the frequency content of a sine wave to a square wave, does that give you any ideas?

Not really, my idea is , a square wave is able to be at any frequency , but usually the sampled signals are low frequency signals(even after transformed to square wave), maybe low frequency signals are not easy to get through tiny apertures?

Here is a neat animation of what I am referring to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Square_wave_frequency_spectrum_animation.gif As you can see, a square wave is made up of many frequency components: the fundamental and higher-frequency harmonics of the fundamental. You would require a large-bandwidth channel to be able to transmit/receive enough of the frequency components to reconstruct your square-wave. In reality, bandwidth is a valuable commodity and engineers try to develop methods of using it efficiently (such as: modulating a narrow-band carrier).

lewando said:
Here is a neat animation of what I am referring to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Square_wave_frequency_spectrum_animation.gif As you can see, a square wave is made up of many frequency components: the fundamental and higher-frequency harmonics of the fundamental. You would require a large-bandwidth channel to be able to transmit/receive enough of the frequency components to reconstruct your square-wave. In reality, bandwidth is a valuable commodity and engineers try to develop methods of using it efficiently (such as: modulating a narrow-band carrier).

genexuiu, lewando put this to you a little too gently. A square wave is the sum of an INFINITE number of sine waves so you would need infinite bandwidth to transmit an mathematically pure square wave. Depending on how sharp you want the edge to be, the bandwidth requirement gets higher and higher. This is a very important thing to fully understand if you are going to be doing work in signal processing.

Thanks a lot lewando&phinds, actually I knew the Fourier sequence~ Here is, maybe another problem, assume that i have a LC-LOOP with the resonance frequency 1Mhz,does it just resonant to sin wave? If i have a 1Mhz square wave,will it just be regarded as infinite sin waves and only those parts around 1Mhz would be resonant?

Yes, the fundamental frequency component (@ 100MHz) will will cause resonance.

1. Can square wave propagate without modulation?

Yes, square waves can propagate without modulation. In fact, square waves are a type of periodic signal that can travel through a medium without the need for modulation.

2. What is modulation and why is it necessary for wave propagation?

Modulation is the process of varying a carrier signal in order to transmit information. It is necessary for wave propagation because it allows for the transmission of different types of signals, such as audio or video, over a single carrier wave.

3. How does modulation affect the shape of a square wave?

Modulation can change the shape of a square wave by altering its amplitude, frequency, or phase. For example, amplitude modulation (AM) can result in a square wave with varying amplitudes, while phase modulation (PM) can cause the wave to shift in phase.

4. Are there any advantages to using square waves for modulation?

Yes, there are several advantages to using square waves for modulation. They have a simple and well-defined shape, making them easy to generate and analyze. They also have a wide range of applications, including digital communication, audio processing, and electronic music.

5. Can square waves be used for long-distance communication without modulation?

No, square waves are not suitable for long-distance communication without modulation. This is because they have a limited range of frequencies and can experience distortion and attenuation over long distances. Modulation allows for the efficient transmission of square waves over long distances by compensating for these effects.