Any difference between acidic and alkaline water?

In summary: Neutralization is a process that takes place when two substances are not chemically compatible and need to be combined to create a new substance. In this case, the new substance is water.
oem7110
Acidic water (pH 4-6) is carrying positive charges and alkaline water(pH 9.5) is carryiing negative charges.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what relationship is between pH and carrying charges?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
oem7110 said:
Acidic water (pH 4-6) is carrying positive charges and alkaline water(pH 9.5) is carryiing negative charges.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what relationship is between pH and carrying charges?
Your question is confusing, since you state the answer in your question.

Alkaline water, with a low pH, is high in negative ions, such as OH. Acidic water is high in positive ions, such as H.

oem7110 said:

Water which is acidic will have as much negative charge as positive (H+) charge.
Water which is alkaline will have as much positive charge as negative (OH-) charge.

symbolipoint said:
Water which is acidic will have as much negative charge as positive (H+) charge.
Water which is alkaline will have as much positive charge as negative (OH-) charge.

When I drink acidic water, what kinds of chemical reaction do we get for positive (H+) charges within my body?

When I drink alkaline water, what kinds of chemical reaction do we get for negative (OH-) charges within my body?

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks everyone very much for any suggestions

Key term that you should learn is "neutralization".

First, check what is pH in your stomach. That should help you understand what happens any high pH liquid you drink.

Second, check what is a pancreatic juice and what role does it play. That should help you understand what happens to low pH liquids.

Borek said:
Key term that you should learn is "neutralization".

First, check what is pH in your stomach. That should help you understand what happens any high pH liquid you drink.

Second, check what is a pancreatic juice and what role does it play. That should help you understand what happens to low pH liquids.

"The pH of your stomach is very acidic it ranges between 1.5-3pH, it is maintained by hydrochloric acid (HCL) and gastrin. A specific enzyme, pepsin, is activated and works best on digesting proteins in the acidic environment."

When I drink any alkaline water with empty stomach, there should not have any process for neutralization, because there is nothing to be digested. so what kinds of chemical reaction do we get for negative (OH-) charges within my body?

"Pancreatic juice contains enzymes that (1)complete the digestion of starch(pancreatic amylase); (2)carry out about half of protein digestion(via the action of trypsin,chymotrypsin,carboxypeptidase), (3)are totally responsible for fat digestion because the pancreas is essentially the only source of lipases; and (4)digest nucleic acids(nucleases)."

Does Pancreatic juice increase when I drink acidic water within my body?

Thanks everyone very much for any suggestions

oem7110 said:
When I drink any alkaline water with empty stomach, there should not have any process for neutralization

I told you to learn what neutralization is, apparently you tried to avoid this step.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutralization_(chemistry )

Last edited by a moderator:
pH is a measure of the amount of positive charges. The p means -log though so its a kind of reverse measurement. Higher pH means less positive charges. When you get above pH 7 then there are no more positive charges and negative charges start forming.

CrimpJiggler said:
pH is a measure of the amount of positive charges. The p means -log though so its a kind of reverse measurement. Higher pH means less positive charges. When you get above pH 7 then there are no more positive charges and negative charges start forming.

Geez, you apparently have a bad day. Nothing you wrote is true. Every solution is electrically neutral, so amount of positive charges is always identical to the amount of negative charges, no matter if pH is high or low.

1. What is the difference between acidic and alkaline water?

Acidic water has a lower pH level, typically below 7, while alkaline water has a higher pH level, typically above 7. This means that acidic water is more acidic and alkaline water is more basic.

2. Is one type of water better for your health?

There is no scientific evidence to suggest that one type of water is better for your health than the other. Both acidic and alkaline water can be beneficial in different ways, and it ultimately depends on individual needs and preferences.

3. Can drinking alkaline water help balance the body's pH?

There is no scientific evidence to support the claim that drinking alkaline water can significantly impact the body's pH levels. The body naturally maintains a stable pH level, and drinking alkaline water will not significantly alter this balance.

4. Is acidic water harmful to drink?

Acidic water with a pH below 6.5 may have a sour taste, but it is generally considered safe to drink. However, long-term consumption of highly acidic water may potentially have negative effects on tooth enamel and digestive health.

5. Can you use both acidic and alkaline water for different purposes?

Yes, both types of water can be used for different purposes. For example, acidic water can be used for cleaning and disinfecting, while alkaline water can be used for drinking or cooking. It is important to understand the purpose and potential benefits of each type of water before using it for a specific purpose.