Statistical mechanics with a negative amount of atoms

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of allowing the number of particles in a system, N, to be negative in advanced statistical mechanics. The speaker believes that this should be theoretically left open for certain systems whose statistical behavior could be best explained with N < 0. However, the professor argues that it would not make physical sense to have negative particles in a system. The conversation also touches on the concept of negative thermodynamic temperature and the potential quantum nature of systems with N < 0. Ultimately, the speaker and the professor agree that there is no physical meaning to allowing N < 0 in statistical mechanics.
Catria
My advanced statistical mechanics prof told me that it wouldn't make any physical sense to allow N (the number of particles in a system) to be negative. But, somehow, I think that this possibility should be theoretically left open; perhaps there are some systems whose statistical behavior would be best explained if we allowed N < 0.

My question is: what would happen if we wanted to solve stat-mech problems of systems with negative quantities of particles?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know why thermodynamic temperature must be a positive quantity?

Dickfore said:
Do you know why thermodynamic temperature must be a positive quantity?

Is it possible to have a thermodynamic themperature > 0 with N < 0?

Your professor is right. What does it even mean to say "I have negative four atoms in this box"? Sure, you can always plug numbers into equations, but that doesn't mean what comes out makes any sense.

Come to think of it, a system whose statistical behavior is that of N < 0 would be quantum in nature, regardless of whether the system contains bosons or fermions.

Catria said:
My advanced statistical mechanics prof told me that it wouldn't make any physical sense to allow N (the number of particles in a system) to be negative. But, somehow, I think that this possibility should be theoretically left open; perhaps there are some systems whose statistical behavior would be best explained if we allowed N < 0.

My question is: what would happen if we wanted to solve stat-mech problems of systems with negative quantities of particles?

Which systems' statistical behavior do you think would be best explained if we allowed N < 0? Do you have any examples in mind?

I doubt there's any physical meaning to having a negative number of particles, even in quantum statistical mechanics. Even in ensembles in which you allow particle fluctuations, they don't have fluctuations to less than zero particles in the system.

1. What is statistical mechanics with a negative amount of atoms?

Statistical mechanics with a negative amount of atoms is a theoretical concept in physics that explores the behavior of a system with a negative number of atoms. This can occur in certain mathematical models and can have interesting implications for understanding the properties of matter.

2. Is it possible to have a negative number of atoms in a physical system?

No, it is not possible to have a negative number of atoms in a physical system. This concept is purely theoretical and is used to explore the mathematical properties of systems with negative values.

3. How does statistical mechanics with a negative amount of atoms differ from traditional statistical mechanics?

Traditional statistical mechanics deals with systems with a positive number of atoms, while statistical mechanics with a negative amount of atoms explores the behavior of systems with negative values. This can lead to different predictions and insights into the properties of matter.

4. What are the potential applications of studying statistical mechanics with a negative amount of atoms?

Studying statistical mechanics with a negative amount of atoms can provide insights into the behavior of highly complex systems and can aid in the development of new mathematical techniques. It can also have applications in fields such as quantum computing and materials science.

5. How does the concept of negative atoms challenge our current understanding of matter?

The concept of negative atoms challenges our current understanding of matter by forcing us to think about the properties of systems with unconventional values. It can also lead to the discovery of new phenomena and the development of new theories to explain them.