Integral of 1/z using different paths

• Thread starter jmcelve
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, you would have to indent around the singular point at the origin in order to make the integral well-behaved.
jmcelve
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to work out the integral of 1/z over the path (0, -i) to (-i, a) to (a, i) to (0, i) for a any real number greater than 0. I'm having trouble trying to determine what to do at z=0 since the integral doesn't exist here. Any ideas as far as how to push forward? My impression is that I'll have to exclude the pole at z=0 using z=ρ*exp[iθ] and taking the limit as ρ goes to 0 which will give me a closed contour. Presumably I'd have to calculate the residue as well, but I want to make sure I have this done rigorously. Would I have to use the principal value as well?

Many thanks,
jmcelve2

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jmcelve said:
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to work out the integral of 1/z over the path (0, -i) to (-i, a) to (a, i) to (0, i) for a any real number greater than 0. I'm having trouble trying to determine what to do at z=0 since the integral doesn't exist here. Any ideas as far as how to push forward? My impression is that I'll have to exclude the pole at z=0 using z=ρ*exp[iθ] and taking the limit as ρ goes to 0 which will give me a closed contour. Presumably I'd have to calculate the residue as well, but I want to make sure I have this done rigorously. Would I have to use the principal value as well?

Many thanks,
jmcelve2

Little ambiguous. The path (0,-i), (-i,a), (a,i), (0,i) does not represent a closed path. Did you mean, "and then back to (0,-i)"?

Suppose you did, then for the integral to be well-behaved, you'd had to indent around the singular point at the origin. If you indented into the right half-plane, then the contour encloses a region where 1/z is analytic and thus the integral is zero. If you indent into the left half-plane, then the contour includes the pole at the origin so the Residue Theorem applies. In either way, the integral represents a principal-valued integral since you're letting the indentation radius go to zero and taking the principal-valued integral along the imaginary axis. The integral is zero in the first case, or 2pi i in the other case right?

If, as I would read this, you are integrating on the straight line path from (0, -i) to (a, -i) to (a, i) to (0, i), you would not have to do anything about z= 0 because you never go anywhere near z= 0.

On the path from (0, -i) to (a, -i) you can take z= x- i so that dz= dx and the integral is [itex]\int_0^a (x- i)^{-1}dx[/itex]. On the path from (a, -i) to (a, i) you can take z= a+ iy so that dz= idy and the integral is [itex]\int_{-1}^1 (a+iy)^{-1}dy[/itex]. Finally, on the path from (a, i) to (0, i), you can take z= x+ i so that dz= dx and the integral is [itex]\int_1^0 (x+ i)^{-1}dx[/itex].

Yeah, that's it HallsofIvy. For some reason, I had the impression I was supposed to do a full contour integral. On a second glance, I realized I had completely misread the problem.

Shows the value of reading comprehension in mathematics! Thanks for the help.

What is the integral of 1/z using different paths?

The integral of 1/z using different paths is known as the complex logarithm. It is a complex-valued function defined as the integral of 1/z along a path from 1 to z in the complex plane.

What is the significance of using different paths in the integral of 1/z?

Using different paths in the integral of 1/z allows us to explore the behavior of the complex logarithm. It helps us understand how the value of the integral changes depending on the path taken, and how it relates to the concept of analytic continuation.

How do you calculate the integral of 1/z using different paths?

To calculate the integral of 1/z using different paths, you first need to choose a starting point and an endpoint in the complex plane. Then, you can use the fundamental theorem of calculus to evaluate the integral along the chosen path. Alternatively, you can use the Cauchy integral theorem to calculate the integral by considering all possible paths between the starting and endpoint.

What are some common paths used in the integral of 1/z?

Some common paths used in the integral of 1/z include straight lines, circles, and curves such as parabolas or ellipses. These paths are chosen based on their simplicity and the insights they provide about the complex logarithm.

What are the applications of the integral of 1/z using different paths?

The integral of 1/z using different paths has various applications in complex analysis, including the study of complex functions and their behavior. It also has practical applications in physics, engineering, and other fields where complex numbers are used to model real-world phenomena.