Photo Contest - 50 (12/29-01/04)

In summary, the photo contest is a platform for scientists to share their research and discoveries through visual images. To participate, one must submit a photo through the designated submission form and follow the guidelines set by the organizers. The contest accepts photos of any aspect of science, and winners can receive prizes such as cash, gift cards, and recognition within the scientific community. Multiple submissions are allowed, but do not guarantee a higher chance of winning.
Borek
Mentor

Today's contest is sponsored by the number 50 - your picture has to be related to the number 50 in this or another way :wink:

Borek

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 800 x 600 or 600 x 800 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Physics news on Phys.org
http://physicsforums.bernhardtmediall.netdna-cdn.com/images/customprofilepics/profilepic23711_2.gif [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Loool!

Gad said:
Loool!
You should have seen this one before

Monique said:
did Borek approve that picture?
Borek said:
Good question.

Jimmy, I am afraid you can't use this picture - it was taken by someone else.

And quite possible this someone else will want to use this picture in the contest.

Borek said:
Jimmy, I am afraid you can't use this picture - it was taken by someone else.

And quite possible this someone else will want to use this picture in the contest.

:rofl:

dlgoff said:
You should have seen this one before

What's that?
The picture link is broken!

I like Serena said:
What's that?
The picture link is broken!

Good thing else Borek would ban me.

marzena_piedziesiat.jpg

There is some distracting foreground to the subject.

Pay no attention. :cool:

35n07ch.jpg

epenguin said:
There is some distracting foreground to the subject.

Pay no attention. :cool:

35n07ch.jpg

When did you take that picture? Did you manage to appear on television?

micromass said:
When did you take that picture? Did you manage to appear on television?

:confused: Not that I know. Why - did you see me?

epenguin said:
:confused: Not that I know. Why - did you see me?

Because you took a picture of a famous Belgian tv-chef. So I imagined that they were filming for some tv show.

micromass said:
Because you took a picture of a famous Belgian tv-chef. So I imagined that they were filming for some tv show.

You said... a famous Belgian? :tongue2::smile:

50 € for french fries? WTH!

Gad said:

lollol!

I'm hoping it's a joke, perhaps because he turned fifty recently.

Gad said:

It's probably something like €1.50 or €2.50...

micromass said:
It's probably something like €1.50 or €2.50...

IT'S ON THE WALL MAN! Read it! Behind the chef, look, it says 50 euro. It also says untzak in Paşcani, translated as ships... Maybe the mean chips? Those people are crazy..

Otherwise, that Belgian chef is hiding something.

:biggrin:

Gad said:
IT'S ON THE WALL MAN! Read it! Behind the chef, look, it says 50 euro. It also says untzak in Paşcani, translated as ships... Maybe the mean chips? Those people are crazy..

Otherwise, that Belgian chef is hiding something.

Can't tell, there's some distraction on the foreground. :p

Okay, here are 50 geese. Count on me-- don't count them. :biggrin:

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/1844/20130103160858.jpg [Broken]

I like Serena said:
Can't tell, there's some distraction on the foreground. :p

I'm just me being paranoid. :tongue:

marcin_50.jpg

50 is half of 100, isn't it?

Instead of two birthday cakes we had one - with the "100" candles :smile:

That'sso cool Borek!

Gad said:
? Those people are crazy..

No, they're Belgian.

epenguin said:
No, they're Belgian.

Same thing...

epenguin said:
No, they're Belgian.

Makes sense.

I should explain. Micromass has added something I didn't realize before.

The pic was taken Antwerp in an open space just near the Cathedral in December of I am not sure what year. Within half an hour of the pics posted in the Landmark contest thread https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3258048&postcount=7004 [Broken] https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3268067&postcount=7009 [Broken] (I know I also reposted them for some other discussion but cannot find it.)

It was bitterly cold. The guy in the pic imitating a statue must really suffer for his art. When we saw this place selling frites we pounced on it. They were really welcome! Almost drunk with the cold if you can be that I took little notice of it but now you mention it there was some tv shooting going on.
35a12l3.jpg
No big set up of lights and assistants, just two or three blokes as I remember. Not particularly noteworthy in that there is a lot of local tv in Belgium and you are likely to find cameras shooting at any concert, chocolate shop or or frites stall opening, or what have you you happen on.

I assumed the people were just normal local proprietors, maybe father and daughter as is common. She has an absolutely typically Belgian face. I did live a bit earlier in Belgium and now micromass mentions it I do remember there was a guy on tv with some resemblance. I had not associated them before; I had not recognised the man’s face. I do not remember it well now but the head was like that. The guy ran a campaign for quality in food and educating consumers and raising their demand for quality - both already quite high in Belgium but he was very demanding and outspoken. He would contemptuously hold up a lettuce or something he had bought in a supermarket and pronounce “Mais c’est quoi ça? C’est de la merde!” That will probably tell micromass if it is the same person.

I thought it could be useful in the future to have 50€ in the picture. I remarked to my friend that 50 did not seem a particularly remarkable number. “Oh no penguin!” he exclaimed “You are quite wrong! 50 is a very interesting number! It is the only number that is the product of five squared times two!”

epenguin said:
I thought it could be useful in the future to have 50€ in the picture. I remarked to my friend that 50 did not seem a particularly remarkable number. “Oh no penguin!” he exclaimed “You are quite wrong! 50 is a very interesting number! It is the only number that is the product of five squared times two!”

So were you aware he is exactly 50 years of age (born 7 December 1962)?

1. What is the purpose of the photo contest?

The purpose of the photo contest is to showcase and celebrate the beauty of science through visual images. It allows scientists to share their research and discoveries with a wider audience.

2. How can I participate in the photo contest?

To participate in the photo contest, you can submit your photo through the designated submission form on the contest's website. Make sure to follow the guidelines and rules set by the organizers.

3. What kind of photos are accepted in the contest?

The photo contest accepts photos that showcase any aspect of science, such as lab experiments, field work, scientific equipment, and natural phenomena. The photos can be taken with any type of camera, including smartphones.

4. Are there any prizes for the winners of the photo contest?

Yes, there are prizes for the winners of the photo contest. The exact prizes may vary depending on the organizers, but they usually include cash prizes, gift cards, and/or recognition within the scientific community.

5. Can I submit more than one photo for the contest?

Yes, you can submit more than one photo for the contest. However, make sure that each photo is unique and follows the guidelines set by the organizers. Multiple submissions do not guarantee a higher chance of winning.