On carbon, methane and electromagnetic radiation

In summary, the conversation discussed the creation of electromagnetic waves through molecular vibrations and electron energy state changes. It also touched on the concept of greenhouse gases and the continuous absorption of light in a gas, as well as the propagation of electromagnetic waves and the behavior of photons. The layman was seeking direction in understanding these concepts and was willing to do the work to learn more.
Tweedle Dee
iTunes University layman looking for answers and willing to do the work – just need some direction.

I now understand electromagnetic waves can be created when molecules vibrate – which they all do. I understand the frequency of the light correlates to the frequency of the molecular vibration – which is itself a result of the mass of the individual vibrating adams and the strength of the molecular bonds.

And, I understand that a “bombarded” adam generates electromagnetic waves when the electron drops back to a lower energy state. I understand the resulting energy of the electromagnetic wave – the frequency – correlates to the energy difference between the two energy orbitals. The electrons travel around the nucleus in waves by “choosing” specific complete-orbital-wave frequencies and distances from the nucleus, otherwise that orbital could not exist because out-of-phase waves would cancel each other out as the electron “circles” the nucleus.

I believe the the resulting lightwaves, either from vibrating molecules or from electrons dropping to a lower energy state, generate resulting magnetic waves, and those very magnetic waves generate “new” lightwaves.

OK - a few questions...

I am told, methane is a “stronger” greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide. Why? I understand that there are multiple vibrational directions or “degrees of freedom” for each bonded adam within the molecule because adams vibrate in a three-dimensional world. Is it that methane is vibrating with a greater number of frequencies and can therefore absorb a greater number of frequencies? But, isn’t the Earth is emitting infrared radiation at a specific frequency? And, doesn’t the Earth's infrared frequency change slightly from one day to the next as the earth’s temperature changes?

Which brings me to the next question…
As the vibrating molecules give off more and more energy – photons – don’t the molecules lose energy? And, if they lose energy does their vibration change? And if the vibration changes then the frequency of the light would change. Which I know is not true because molecules of a specific type give off a specific frequency.

And lastly...
Do the magnetic waves that are propagated from lightwaves create new lightwaves that amplify the original lightwaves? Which then create new magnetic waves and the cycle continues? And if so, is that why light travels forever? (Or at least for 13 1/2 billion light-years as far as we know.) Or does light travel forever because a body in motion (a photon) remains in motion?

I’m happy to read further on my own. I just need some direction.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The picture you have of discrete vibrational frequencies, and therefore a discrete absorbtion spectrum, only works for an isolated molecule. In a gas, where you have lots of them, collisions and interactions between the molecules, along with the Doppler effect, transforms discrete absorption into a continuous absorption band. The amount of absorption will change as a function of the frequency of the light.

To figure out which gas is a stronger green house gas, you have figure out what the emission of the Earth looks like in the infrared region, and then see how much of that will be absorbed by the different gases.

And I do not know what you mean by "magnetic wave". Do you mean electromagnetic wave? In that case, it is the same as a light wave, with the name light wave only applying to a small part of the full electromagnetic spectrum (from the infrared to the ultra-violet).

Tweedle Dee said:
Do the magnetic waves that are propagated from lightwaves create new lightwaves that amplify the original lightwaves? Which then create new magnetic waves and the cycle continues? And if so, is that why light travels forever? (Or at least for 13 1/2 billion light-years as far as we know.) Or does light travel forever because a body in motion (a photon) remains in motion?

The electromagnitic wave just propagates freely in space until it encounters an object. I don't think that "a body in motion" is the best way to talk about photons, but if it helps you to see it that way, the photon just travels in space until it is absoebed by something.

1. What is the relationship between carbon, methane, and electromagnetic radiation?

Carbon and methane are both greenhouse gases that contribute to the Earth's natural greenhouse effect. This means that they absorb and trap heat within the Earth's atmosphere, preventing it from escaping into space. Electromagnetic radiation, such as infrared radiation, is the form of energy that is trapped by these gases, causing the Earth's temperature to rise.

2. How does the increase in carbon and methane levels impact the Earth's climate?

The increase in carbon and methane levels in the atmosphere leads to a stronger greenhouse effect, resulting in a rise in the Earth's overall temperature. This leads to various impacts on the climate, such as rising sea levels, more frequent and severe natural disasters, and changes in weather patterns.

3. What are the sources of carbon and methane emissions?

Carbon is primarily emitted through the burning of fossil fuels, such as coal, oil, and natural gas, for energy. Methane is released through natural processes, such as decomposition in landfills and agriculture, as well as human activities like livestock farming and oil and gas production.

4. How can we reduce carbon and methane emissions?

To reduce carbon emissions, we can shift to renewable energy sources, such as solar and wind power, and increase energy efficiency in buildings and transportation. To reduce methane emissions, we can improve waste management practices, implement sustainable agriculture techniques, and reduce the use of fossil fuels.

5. What are the potential consequences of not addressing carbon and methane emissions?

If we do not take action to reduce carbon and methane emissions, the Earth's temperature will continue to rise, leading to more frequent and severe natural disasters, displacement of communities, and damage to ecosystems. This can also have negative impacts on global economies, food security, and public health.