Measuring earth magnetic field strength

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of an experiment to measure the strength of the Earth's magnetic field. The participants discuss the use of a magnetometer and the difficulties in understanding the concepts and vocabulary involved. They also mention the use of a current loop and a formula to determine the magnetic field strength. The conversation ends with one participant expressing appreciation for the other's patience.
ry2ncz
I'm somewhere at a suburb near Sydney and I have problems designing an experiment to measure the strength of the Earth magnetic field so that means now I'm close to geographic south and I'm close to magnetic north right? how do I measure the angles between the GS and Mn and what do I have to look for before measuring the strength of the Earth magnetic field... I have power supply, dip needle, a compass, ammeter , resistor and connecting leads and a ruler to measure the distance of what?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
And I am a year twelve students also having difficulty to understand Earth magnetic field I mean the lines of the magnetic

hi there
welcome to PF
I am also from Sydney :)

A magentometer is the usual device for measuring the Earth's magnetic field.
These can be built are reasonably low cost prob <$50. There's a lot of amateur scientists around the world that use a magnetometer to measure fluctuations in the field strength.
A reasonable fluctuation occurred just within the last 24 hours after a flare on the sun and a CME ( coronal mass ejection). When these CME's hit the Earth's magnetic field it causes the field to compress and then expand again ... its that that the magnetometer picks up

do a google search on fluxgate magnetometer
there's many links to info and circuits etc :)

Dave

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1363425515.892213.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1363425565.949486.jpg

Sorry daven the magnetometer is bow provided to measure the Earth's magnetic field strength And I don't really understand the figure shown in 56785... I have learned about magnetic field but I couldn't understand much of the vocab because I'm my English level is not that good... I hope I have not offended u mate

Not*

Do you understand what vectors are, and how we represent the magnetic field?

I understand what vectors are but I do not how to represent in magnetic field I got a bit confuse at that point

Magnetic field is vector field, but is best represented as lines of force. At every point the magnetic field is tangential vector to the line et that point. You must check on the internet what those look like for the earth, it's easy to find. Then it shouldn't be difficult to visualise why is inclination in your book 0 degrees (parallel) at equator and why it is perpendicular to the pole. You should at that point have some ideas how to solve your problem.

xAxis, that's not 0 degree I think it represents something else but I just couldn't figure it out what it is

"It varies from 0 degrees at the equator to 90 degrees at the pole".
This is citation from your book. Have you checked the picture of the magnetic force field of the earth? Or of the bar magnet as they are similar?

I think the goal from the text is to have you build a current loop and introduce a known current into it. If you know the size of the loop, the number of turns, and how much current is running through it, you can determine it's magnetic field strength in the center. The idea then is to make a loop, place the compass in the middle, and apply a current so that the magnetic field in the loop just cancels the Earth's magnetic field.

xAxis that is why I don't understand... Maybe I will check with my classmate today I know the inclination and declination of my town now but I have no idea putting the vectors together. What I mean is that what do I have to find out first before looking for the value for Earth magnetic field

Ryoko said:
I think the goal from the text is to have you build a current loop and introduce a known current into it. If you know the size of the loop, the number of turns, and how much current is running through it, you can determine it's magnetic field strength in the center. The idea then is to make a loop, place the compass in the middle, and apply a current so that the magnetic field in the loop just cancels the Earth's magnetic field.

What formula do I have to know for this... My teacher told me that I have to make a comparison of F/L=I1I2/d (Mo/2pi) I have totally lost what he really wants here I show u second page of that paper and the formula
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1363552322.872066.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1363552353.603018.jpg

He wants you to know the relation between the current and the magnetic field around the wire generated by it. You have to understand it in order to do your task, as well as the shape of the magnetic field of the earth.
That formula is the force per unit length between to parallel wires when there is a current in them.

xAxis said:
He wants you to know the relation between the current and the magnetic field around the wire generated by it. You have to understand it in order to do your task, as well as the shape of the magnetic field of the earth.
That formula is the force per unit length between to parallel wires when there is a current in them.

Okay xAxis I'll try to work it out... I hope I can understand what I want to find as well thanks agn axis for having patience

1. What is the purpose of measuring Earth's magnetic field strength?

The purpose of measuring Earth's magnetic field strength is to gain a better understanding of the Earth's magnetic field, which plays a crucial role in protecting our planet from harmful solar radiation.

2. How is Earth's magnetic field strength measured?

Earth's magnetic field strength is typically measured using a device called a magnetometer, which can detect changes in the strength and direction of the magnetic field at a specific location.

3. Why does Earth's magnetic field strength vary in different locations?

Earth's magnetic field strength varies because the Earth's magnetic field is not uniform and is affected by the Earth's internal structure, as well as external factors such as solar activity and the Earth's rotation.

4. How is the strength of Earth's magnetic field changing over time?

The strength of Earth's magnetic field has been fluctuating over time, with periods of strengthening and weakening. Currently, the magnetic field is weakening at a rate of about 5% every century.

5. Are there any potential effects of changes in Earth's magnetic field strength?

Changes in Earth's magnetic field strength could potentially affect global navigation systems and communication technologies, as well as the behavior of migratory animals that rely on the magnetic field for navigation.