Find Thevenin Voltage & Current Across R2: Tricks & Tips Included

In summary, to find the current and voltage across R2 using Thevenin, first find Rth (equal to (R1 + R4)||(R3 + R5)). Then, using the second circuit with I2=0, use the voltage divider formula to find Vab as the voltage drops across R3 and R5. Point A and B are now in a series circuit, and the voltmeter would give you the combined voltage of R3 and R5.
phyznut
I'm trying to find the current and voltage across R2 using thenenin.
http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/4606/thv15ph.png
I've managed to find Rth, which is equal to (R1 + R4)||(R3 + R5). That comes out to about 2.9 ohms. I need help with finding the Vth (Vab) though.
http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/5002/thv28nc.png
Can someone please help me. What are the tricks involved here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your second picture IS the trick ... with I_2 = 0, what is V_ab ?
That is, with I_2 = 0 , all the current thru R_1 goes thru R_3 , R_4 , and R_5 .

lightgrav said:
Your second picture IS the trick ... with I_2 = 0, what is V_ab ?
That is, with I_2 = 0 , all the current thru R_1 goes thru R_3 , R_4 , and R_5 .

Ok then so with R2 removed, the circuit is now series. That makes the current the same for the remaining resistors.

So if I_2 is 0, then the voltage between that point is also zero? That doesn't seem right though. I still don't get it, please give me another hint.

Can no one help.

Would I have to use the voltage divider? How do i use it?

Last edited:
Yes you could use the voltage divider formula. With R2 removed, you can think of [tex]V_{AB}[/tex] as the voltage drops across [tex]R_3 and R_5[/tex]

Look at it in this way. When you remove [tex]R_2[/tex], the circuit now becomes a series circuit. Look at where point A and B are. If you where to take a voltmeter and put the probes across points A and B. Your voltmeter would be giving you to combined voltage of R3 and R5.

What is Thevenin voltage?

Thevenin voltage, also known as the Thevenin equivalent voltage, is the voltage that would be measured across two terminals of a circuit if all other components were removed and replaced with their equivalent resistance.

How is Thevenin voltage calculated?

Thevenin voltage can be calculated by finding the open-circuit voltage across two terminals of a circuit and dividing it by the total resistance between those terminals.

Why is Thevenin voltage important in circuit analysis?

Thevenin voltage helps to simplify complex circuits and make it easier to analyze their behavior. It allows us to replace a complicated circuit with a single voltage source and a single resistor, making the circuit easier to understand and analyze.

What is the difference between Thevenin voltage and Norton voltage?

Thevenin voltage and Norton voltage are both equivalent representations of a circuit, but they use different components. Thevenin voltage uses a voltage source and a resistor, while Norton voltage uses a current source and a resistor.

How can Thevenin voltage be used in practical applications?

Thevenin voltage can be used to determine the maximum power that can be delivered to a load connected to a circuit. It can also be used to analyze the performance of a circuit under different conditions and to design more efficient circuits.