Sketching the [0-1-1] Direction and Its Relationship to {110} and {111} Planes

• Thread starter JSBeckton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Indices
In summary, the conversation is about finding the direction and plane for a specific set of Miller indices. The first question is regarding sketching the direction, while the second question asks about which planes the direction lies in. The conversation then shifts to discussing the difficulty of the second question and a link to a helpful thread. The third question asks for the indices of four directions that lie in a specific plane of a cubic cell.
JSBeckton
I'm not exactly sure what to do here after I find the direction, can anyone help me out? Thanks:

Sketch the [tex]
\left[ {0\overline 1 1} \right]
[/tex] direction. Which {110} and {111} plane(s) does it lie in?

Physics news on Phys.org
That is a poorly worded question. I can't remember being asked a question like that with regard to miller indicies. It's pretty obvious to get the direction, but I really don't understand what they are looking for in the second part either. Unless they are eluding to the notion that parallel planes have the same indicies...Maybe a read of this thread may help. Astronuc is the man!

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=92257

The sketching part is simple. Draw a cartesian coordinate system and use the definitions of the indices. I can't understand the second question either.

I don't understand it either and my test is on monday! (this is a practice test) There is a 3rd part that's kinda confusing too, he did not do any of this stuff in class:

What are the indices of the four directions of the form <111> that lie in the [tex]
\left( {\overline 1 01} \right)
[/tex] plane of a cibic cell?

1. What are Miller indices?

Miller indices are a notation system used in crystallography to describe the orientation of crystal planes and directions within a crystal lattice.

2. How are Miller indices determined?

Miller indices are determined by taking the reciprocals of the intercepts of a crystal plane with the crystallographic axes. The resulting numbers are then multiplied by a common factor to get the smallest set of integers.

3. What is the significance of Miller indices?

Miller indices are important for identifying and describing crystal structures, as well as predicting the physical properties of crystals. They are also used in the study of crystal growth and in the design of materials with specific properties.

4. How do Miller indices relate to crystal symmetry?

Miller indices are related to crystal symmetry because they are based on the symmetry of the crystal lattice. The planes and directions described by Miller indices are aligned with the axes of symmetry in a crystal.

5. Can Miller indices be negative?

Yes, Miller indices can be negative. Negative indices indicate that the plane or direction is parallel to, but in the opposite direction of, the corresponding axis. Zero indices indicate that the plane or direction passes through the origin.