Understanding Sound Interference

In summary, the conversation discusses interference of sound and the function for combined amplitude. It notes that the interference max will be d*sin(θ)=n*λ and min will be d*sin(θ)=(n+1/2)*λ. The individual has chosen a sound frequency and wavelength and has calculated the nth max and nth min. However, when trying to plot the graph, the amplitude value does not increase and decrease as expected. It is later realized that the issue is due to the use of radians and degrees in the function.
team31
I'm having trouble with the interference of sound. As the given function of the combined Amplidude A=2Acos(PI*d*sin(θ)/λ), hence the interfernce max will be d*sin(θ)=n*λ, and min will be d*sin(θ)=(n+1/2)*λ. I chose my sound frequency and wavelength. so I figule out the nth max and nth min, but when i tried to plot the graph of the combined Amplidude function, it's amplitude value is not going up and down as the angle increase(which I throught it would becasue the max and min) but just simply decrease from 0 to about 90 degree then it increase back up. so How do we know if it's a max or min, since it's all decreasing in a steady rate?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not recognizing what you are doing here. What is the arrangement of the sound sources that are interfering?

Nevermind, I was finally figure out that cos is in radians and sin was in degree. Now my graph matches with my predictions. Thanks anyway

What is interference of sound?

Interference of sound is the phenomenon where two or more sound waves meet and interact with each other. This interaction can result in either constructive or destructive interference, depending on the phase relationship between the waves. This can affect the loudness, pitch, and quality of the resulting sound.

What causes interference of sound?

Interference of sound is caused by the superposition of two or more sound waves. When two waves meet, their amplitudes are added together. If the waves are in phase (peaks and troughs align), they will result in constructive interference, resulting in a louder sound. If the waves are out of phase (peaks and troughs do not align), they will result in destructive interference, resulting in a quieter or even cancelled sound.

What are the types of interference of sound?

There are two types of interference of sound: constructive and destructive. Constructive interference occurs when two waves are in phase and their amplitudes are added together, resulting in a louder sound. Destructive interference occurs when two waves are out of phase and their amplitudes cancel each other out, resulting in a quieter or even cancelled sound.

How does interference of sound affect sound quality?

Interference of sound can affect the quality of sound by altering its loudness, pitch, and clarity. Constructive interference can result in a louder and more resonant sound, while destructive interference can result in a quieter or even distorted sound. In some cases, interference can also create a noticeable beating effect.

What are some real-life examples of interference of sound?

Interference of sound can be observed in various real-life situations. For example, when two speakers are playing the same sound at different distances from a listener, the sound waves can interfere with each other, resulting in uneven sound levels. Another example is when you hear a humming noise while driving on a highway, caused by the interference of sound waves from the road and the car's tires. Interference can also occur between musical instruments or in concert halls, affecting the overall sound quality.