Does Synthetic Oil Offer Better Engine Protection Due to Its Lighter Weight?

In summary, synthetic oil provides superior protection for internal combustion engines due to its stability at high temperatures and resistance to breakdown. The density of the oil does not significantly impact its lubrication qualities. Other factors such as viscosity, thermal stability, and ash content have a greater effect on the oil's performance.
bobbobwhite
We have read that synthetic oil protects and preserves internal combustion engines much better than does natural petroleum. I have proven that to myself over many years in my own vehicles. A question first came to mind the last time I bought synthetic oil...I noticed that it is so much lighter in weight per volume than petroleum that it begs a question ...is at least part of the reason little to no wear occurs in an engine using synthetic oil due to more of the synthetic material remaining on the moving components after operation ceases and the engine cools, at least partially due to the lower gravitational pull on the lighter sythetic oil allowing it to remain on moving components better than heavier petroleum? If so, it would logically provide superior cold start-up lubrication, the lack of which is the cause of most engine wear.

Thus, is the superior protection of synthetic purely due to its superior lubrication qualities, or does it possibly involve other factors such as the above?

Thanks for informed responses.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hmm, I don't know how informed my response is but here goes. I always thought the biggest advantages of synthetic oils were superior stability at high temperatures, and resistance to breakdown, oxidation and other chemical changes with long exposure to heat, exhaust blowby, etc. Most wear to bearings such as connecting rods occurs at high loads and stress (towing a boat or hard accelerations) rather than idling. My favorite auto lube website explains all this in great detail, although I don't think he addresses the differences between mineral and synthetic oils.
http://http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/"

Last edited by a moderator:
Almost certainly not. The density itself doesn't play much of an effect with regard to lubrication. Properties such as viscocity, thermal stability, heat transfer characteristics, ash content etc all have much more of an effect. Obviously some of these will have an effect on density, but the density itself is not a critical property of a lubricating oil.

1. What is synthetic oil?

Synthetic oil is a type of motor oil that is created through chemical synthesis rather than being refined from crude oil. It is composed of artificially-made chemical compounds that are designed to have specific properties and provide superior performance compared to conventional motor oils.

2. What are the benefits of using synthetic oil?

Synthetic oil has many benefits, including better engine protection, improved fuel efficiency, longer oil change intervals, and better performance in extreme temperatures. It also contains fewer impurities and additives, resulting in less engine deposits and cleaner engine components.

3. How is synthetic oil different from conventional oil?

Synthetic oil is made up of artificially-produced molecules that are designed to have specific properties, while conventional oil is extracted from crude oil and contains a mix of different hydrocarbons. Synthetic oil also has a more consistent molecular structure and fewer impurities, resulting in better performance and longer-lasting protection for your engine.

4. Can I mix synthetic oil with conventional oil?

It is not recommended to mix synthetic oil with conventional oil, as this can compromise the performance benefits of using synthetic oil. Mixing oils can also result in unpredictable chemical reactions and potentially harm your engine.

5. How often should I change synthetic oil?

The recommended oil change interval for synthetic oil varies depending on the type and brand, but it is typically longer than conventional oil. It is best to follow the guidelines provided by your vehicle's manufacturer or consult your mechanic for the best oil change schedule based on your driving habits and vehicle's needs.