Rolling Motion and friction

In summary: the center of mass would continue to move along with the ball, but the ball would slowly come to a stop.
konichiwa2x
Hi,

I got a doubt while studying rotational mechanics. It is said in my book that when a sphere is purely rolling on a surface, total mechanical energy is conserved even though friction is acting. Isnt friction an external force? How can energy be conserved then??

Another doubt I got is the following: I understand that it is the torque due to friction that helps a body roll. Hence, friction actualy helps motion.. Then why does the rolling body ever come to stop??

Please help me get this cleared. thanks for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
konichiwa2x said:
It is said in my book that when a sphere is purely rolling on a surface, total mechanical energy is conserved even though friction is acting. Isnt friction an external force? How can energy be conserved then??
Yes, friction is an external force. But as long as there is no slipping, the static friction does no work and thus does not affect the mechanical energy.

Note that when the sphere is rolling along a horizontal surface, the static friction is zero. Friction is only needed to change the rotational motion, as when the sphere rolls down an incline.

Another doubt I got is the following: I understand that it is the torque due to friction that helps a body roll. Hence, friction actualy helps motion.. Then why does the rolling body ever come to stop??
The static friction helps to prevent slipping, which also converts some mechanical energy into rotational kinetic energy. It doesn't help it go faster, if that's what you are thinking. (I'm talking about just rolling a ball along a surface, assuming no internal power source.) In real life, static friction is not the only force acting on the ball--the surfaces deform and produce what is called rolling friction, which does act as a dissipative force. (And of course there is also air resistance.)

konichiwa2x said:
Hi,

I got a doubt while studying rotational mechanics. It is said in my book that when a sphere is purely rolling on a surface, total mechanical energy is conserved even though friction is acting. Isnt friction an external force? How can energy be conserved then??

The frictional force is there simply to prevent slipping. It does NO WORK onto the system. If it slips, then yes, the frictional force affects the energy content of the system. But if it rolls without slipping, the frictional force does no work.

Zz.

The friction here is static one, so it does not involve any relative movement that's why the energy is preserved. Sliding friction then will consume energy.

Doc Al said:
Yes, friction is an external force. But as long as there is no slipping, the static friction does no work and thus does not affect the mechanical energy.

Note that when the sphere is rolling along a horizontal surface, the static friction is zero. Friction is only needed to change the rotational motion, as when the sphere rolls down an incline.

The static friction helps to prevent slipping, which also converts some mechanical energy into rotational kinetic energy. It doesn't help it go faster, if that's what you are thinking. (I'm talking about just rolling a ball along a surface, assuming no internal power source.) In real life, static friction is not the only force acting on the ball--the surfaces deform and produce what is called rolling friction, which does act as a dissipative force. (And of course there is also air resistance.)

Are you sure the static friction is zero for a rolling sphere on a horizontal surface ? Doesn't the static friction depend only on normal force and coefficient ? If the force is zero, won't the ball stop rolling but the center of mass continue, eg. ball on ice ?

regor60 said:
Are you sure the static friction is zero for a rolling sphere on a horizontal surface ? Doesn't the static friction depend only on normal force and coefficient ? If the force is zero, won't the ball stop rolling but the center of mass continue, eg. ball on ice ?
Doc Al didn't say that the static frictional force was zero, he said that the static frictional force does no work on the system

regor60 said:
Are you sure the static friction is zero for a rolling sphere on a horizontal surface ?
Yep. Once the sphere is rolling without slipping it will continue without the need for any applied force. (If the static friction were not zero, the sphere would accelerate.)

Doesn't the static friction depend only on normal force and coefficient ?
The maximum static friction force is given by [itex]\mu N[/itex], but the actual value of static friction can be anything from zero up to that maximum.

If the force is zero, won't the ball stop rolling but the center of mass continue, eg. ball on ice ?
No. Just like translational motion doesn't require a force to maintain constant speed, rotational motion does not require a torque to maintain constant angular speed. (This is Newton's 1st law at work.)

In fact, as I mentioned above, if the force were nonzero the ball would have to accelerate.

Hootenanny said:
Doc Al didn't say that the static frictional force was zero, he said that the static frictional force does no work on the system
Actually, I did say that the static frictional force was zero--and I meant it. :wink:

Doc Al said:
Actually, I did say that the static frictional force was zero--and I meant it. :wink:
Ahh yes, my bad. I should really read the whole post before throwing my comments in :redface:

Doc Al said:
Yep. Once the sphere is rolling without slipping it will continue without the need for any applied force. (If the static friction were not zero, the sphere would accelerate.)
So I'll persist. By saying "rolling without slipping" aren't you assuming a force to prevent it from slipping ? What if the ball rolls off a table - the ball continues to move forward and still spins, but you wouldn't say it's "rolling" - Isn't the air like a surface but with no friction from just the horizontal point of view ?

Also, a ball at rest on a table experiences a static friction force, doesn't it ? But it doesn't accelerate, does it, unless acted on by another force ? This seems at odds with your paren comment

Last edited:
regor60 said:
So I'll persist. By saying "rolling without slipping" aren't you assuming a force to prevent it from slipping ?
Only when needed. Once it's rolling at the correct rate--to match it's translational speed--a friction force is no longer needed.

On the other hand, if the ball were were rolling down an incline then it would slip if there were no friction since it speeds up as it rolls down. A friction force is needed to make it spin faster to match it's translation to prevent slipping. (Of course, the friction also slows down the translation.)

Also, a ball at rest on a table experiences a static friction force, doesn't it ? But it doesn't accelerate, does it, unless acted on by another force ? This seems at odds with your paren comment
No, a ball at rest does not experience static friction. And if it did, it would have to accelerate! :smile:

Consider this: Put a block on a table. What static friction acts on it? None! Now if you start to push the block, that's when static friction begins to act to prevent slipping. The harder you push, the greater the static friction. Up until the maximum static friction the surfaces can provide, which is given by [itex]\mu N[/itex].

Last edited:

1. What is rolling motion and how does it differ from sliding motion?

Rolling motion is a type of motion in which a body moves in a circular path while also rotating around its own axis. This differs from sliding motion, where a body simply slides or glides along a surface without any rotation.

2. How does friction affect rolling motion?

Friction is the force that resists motion between two surfaces in contact. In rolling motion, friction plays a crucial role in providing the necessary force to keep the body rolling and prevent it from slipping. Friction also causes the body to slow down and eventually stop due to the dissipation of energy.

3. How is rolling resistance related to friction?

Rolling resistance is the force that opposes the motion of a rolling body on a surface. It is directly related to friction, as it is caused by the friction between the rolling body and the surface it is rolling on. The rougher the surface, the higher the rolling resistance and the more energy is required to keep the body rolling.

4. Can rolling motion occur without any friction?

No, rolling motion cannot occur without any friction. Without friction, the body would simply slide or slip along the surface without any rotation. Friction is necessary to provide the necessary force for the body to roll and maintain its circular motion.

5. How does the coefficient of friction affect rolling motion?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces. In rolling motion, a higher coefficient of friction means more friction between the rolling body and the surface, which can cause the body to slow down or even come to a stop. A lower coefficient of friction means less friction and the body can roll more easily and for a longer distance.