What Are the Best Career Options in Physics, Engineering, and Math?

• Math
  • Thread starter karanrustagi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Careers
In summary, Hypercase is considering switching to another career path after completing his undergraduate degree in Actuarial Science from Waterloo. He is unsure if pursuing a career in physics is the right decision because of the potential money he would make, but he is more interested in learning about physics than in making money.
karanrustagi
Hi All...
I read ur post just when i had decided to start a new topic called CAREER... I'm currently doing act sci from university fo waterloo (first year coop) but the problem is i THINK I'm not interested in act sci and more interested in physics... i certainly can't take physics coz I'm convinced i won't end up in a good job. I'm currently thinking of switchin to system design engg... when you did your research, did you have anything on this? Please let me know coz I'm all so confused whether or not to switch... my priorities are a gr8 job (earning over CAN $150 grands within 8 years) coz i have soooo many expensive hobbies to take care of... and then i also want to do something i really like... I'm having so much trouble balancing both of these...
SO SOME! HELPPPPPP!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey u guys I hav this prob too.
All u guys in physics forums who are in a pure science stream or are physicsts please help me. I'm very interested in physics, and I'd like to major in physics. The problem is if I don't make it big with the research , I'll end up in some unknown university teaching some boring course, for the same reason my family insists on a enghineering course. So is it worth majoring in physics (I know it will give me the satisfaction of studing physics, but materialisticaly imean). what are the job opportunities. Since I'm not a good orator I don't think lecturing is rifht for me.
So please help me all u pure science grads, profs please guide me from ur experience

Personally after a Ph.D in Physics I hope to get a research job at an organization like NASA or CERN.. I know there aren't many, but if they are going to hire somebody to do the job, why not me?

Originally posted by Hypercase
Hey u guys I hav this prob too.
All u guys in physics forums who are in a pure science stream or are physicsts please help me. I'm very interested in physics, and I'd like to major in physics. The problem is if I don't make it big with the research , I'll end up in some unknown university teaching some boring course, for the same reason my family insists on a enghineering course. So is it worth majoring in physics (I know it will give me the satisfaction of studing physics, but materialisticaly imean). what are the job opportunities. Since I'm not a good orator I don't think lecturing is rifht for me.
So please help me all u pure science grads, profs please guide me from ur experience
Don't choose your career because of your wallet. Would you rather spend the rest of your life miserable in order to make a few thousand dollars more a year? Anyway, physicists have a LARGE amount of career choices.. it isn't only research or teaching. It is one of the most versatile degrees you can possess.

I totally agree money is not everything but for a person like me i cna't like on anything less than 100 grands a year... i hate bargaining, waiting for discounts and promotions... i just know want i want and i want it rite when i want it. I have so many hobbies like rc planes, world tours... all that i can't do as a student but want to do it all when I'm working...
But i have this f**king strong desire to learn ALL THE PHYSICS IN THE WORLD and i have no idea how i can get both "money" and "physics" to meet...
getting a phd and a research job is not all that easy... even being a prof is not easy... u have to gain loads of fellowships b4 u can earn well as prof... ur social life is screwed... research a bit on the web and u'll find so many phd's unemployed...
umemployment is widespread even in engg... except if u do engg from some good univ. and have xperience... and all htat...
thats y i thot it'd be best if i stayed in math and pursued physics more as hobby...
what do u guys think... (I REALLY DONT MIND IF U guys call me MONEY MINDED AND REMARKS LIKE THAT... U'RE WELCOME... simple coz i don't want to be close minded about this and b convinced that I'm all rite and others r all wrong...)
All my life i was 10000% sure i was going to be an aeronautical or aerospace engg. even if i hardly get paid... but donno what happened in my final year of school... i changed my mind and took up math along with a friend (by math i mean actuarial science)...
i'm all confused now... not sure what to do... stay or leave

Yeah actuaries are fairly well paid, and they have to have a descent understanding of maths. Physics is not well paid though. Maybe you should head down the easier finance route and you will soon forget your juvenile love for science as you mature and really begin to realize that money is more important.

Originally posted by plus
Maybe you should head down the easier finance route and you will soon forget your juvenile love for science as you mature and really begin to realize that money is more important.
Please tell me you're joking?

Yeah actuaries are fairly well paid, and they have to have a descent understanding of maths. Physics is not well paid though. Maybe you should head down the easier finance route and you will soon forget your juvenile love for science as you mature and really begin to realize that money is more important
what the hell are u talking about. How can I have any satisfation in a non scientific career.
This thread was about having both a scientific job and earning enough for one's livelihood, do suggest that I make money my life's sole purpose. And what the hell do u mean by juvenille love?? and money is more imporatant?? what the hell are guys like u doing on physics forums.

delta, plus's sarcasm is so thick you couldn't cut it with a knife.

cookiemonster

What job opportunities are available for someone with a degree in physics/engineering/math?

There are a wide variety of job opportunities for individuals with degrees in physics, engineering, or math. Some popular career paths include research and development, data analysis, teaching, consulting, and engineering design. These fields are constantly growing and evolving, offering many opportunities for individuals with strong analytical and problem-solving skills.

What skills are necessary for a successful career in physics/engineering/math?

In addition to a strong understanding of math and science principles, successful careers in physics, engineering, and math require strong critical thinking skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work independently and in a team. Excellent communication skills and the ability to solve complex problems are also highly valued in these fields.

What industries hire individuals with backgrounds in physics/engineering/math?

Individuals with degrees in physics, engineering, or math can find job opportunities in a variety of industries, including aerospace, automotive, energy, technology, healthcare, and finance. These industries often have a high demand for individuals with strong technical skills, making them ideal for individuals with backgrounds in physics, engineering, or math.

What is the average salary for someone with a degree in physics/engineering/math?

The average salary for individuals with degrees in physics, engineering, or math varies depending on the specific job and industry. However, overall, these fields tend to have above average salaries due to their highly technical and specialized nature. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average salary for physicists and astronomers is $122,850, for engineers is $91,010, and for mathematicians is $105,030.

What are some tips for finding a job in physics/engineering/math?

Networking is key in these fields, so it is important to attend career fairs, conferences, and other events to connect with professionals and potential employers. Building a strong online presence through professional social media platforms can also help in job searching. It is also beneficial to gain practical experience through internships or research opportunities during your education. Finally, staying up-to-date on industry developments and continuously honing your skills will make you a more competitive job candidate.