Kinetic Energy of Pulley System with Unequal Weights

In summary, the homework statement says that the force of gravity is 10. The equation for the force of gravity is 1/2 mv^2. The equation for the acceleration of the two weights is a=g (A-B) . a = 10 (6-4). a = 2ms. The force of gravity acting on weights is F=MA. The velocity is V=U+A*T. V = 0 + 2*4. V = 8. The kinetic energy is 320.
sequenced_chaos

Homework Statement

Force of gravity = 10
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/1156/kineticec6.png
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/1156/kineticec6.png
Pulley System
Two unequal weights, A = 6KG and B = 4KG
What is the kinetic energy of the movement after 4 seconds?

I think my calculations are so far correct... please point me in the right direction.

Homework Equations

KE = 1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Acceleration of the two weights

a = g (A-B)
-------
(A+B)

a = 10 (6-4)
---------
(6+4)

a = 2ms

Force of gravity acting on weights

Weight 'A' (6KG)

F = MA
F = 6 * 10

Weight 'B' (4KG)

F = MA
F = 4 * 10

Ive also made an attempt to calculate velocity:

Velocity of masses

V = Sqr 2gh (6-4)
------
(6+4)

= (Sqr Rt)100

= 10However I made another calculation and found the acceleration of the both weights to be 7.3, and by using SUVAT that the velocity is 29.3 with that figure of 7.3 for acceleration. To be honest I am completely lost, please help.

Homework Statement

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You found the acceleration. Assuming it starts from rest, what must be the speed after 4 seconds?

Sounds like you found the acceleration using two methods and got different answers. What was the second method that you used?

As far as the first method goes, did you derive that equation yourself or are you using a formula given in your text?

My tutor gave a homework question with that diagram, he said. Find the kinetic energy of the movement after a period of 4 seconds. Nothing was provided to us, the formulas I have used come from this website http://www.sparknotes.com/testprep/books/sat2/physics/chapter8section2.rhtml . I read through it and tried to apply the given formulas.

Last edited:
It's generally better to derive your own equations from basic principles (Newton's 2nd law). But the formula and answer for the acceleration that you gave is correct. Use kinematics to find the speed after 4 seconds.

S 25
U 0
V ?
A 2
T 4

V = U + A * T
V = 0 + 2 * 4
V = 8

So where do I go from here? I now know the Velocity, what about the masses.

You have the velocity, now calculate the kinetic energy.

Kinetic Energy = 1/2 M V^2

1/2 10 * 8^2

= 320

So 320 is the final answer?

sequenced_chaos said:
So 320 is the final answer?
Yes. Be sure to attach proper units to your answer.

Thanks very much for your time, much aprechiated :D

What is a pulley system and how does it work?

A pulley system is a mechanical device that consists of one or more movable pulleys and one or more fixed pulleys. It is used to lift or move heavy objects using the principle of mechanical advantage. The pulleys work together to distribute the weight of the object, making it easier to lift or move.

What is kinetic energy and how is it related to pulley systems?

Kinetic energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its motion. It is directly related to the speed and mass of an object. In a pulley system, kinetic energy is generated as the object is lifted or moved. The more pulleys in the system, the more kinetic energy is required to lift the object.

How does the number of pulleys affect the amount of kinetic energy in a pulley system?

The more pulleys in a system, the more kinetic energy is required to lift an object. This is because with each additional pulley, the weight of the object is distributed among more ropes, resulting in a greater force needed to lift the object. In other words, the more pulleys, the more work is required to lift the object, and therefore, the more kinetic energy is generated.

What are some real-world applications of pulley systems and kinetic energy?

Pulley systems and kinetic energy have a wide range of real-world applications. They are commonly used in elevators, cranes, and construction equipment to lift heavy objects. They are also used in exercise machines, such as weightlifting machines, to help users build muscle and generate kinetic energy. Additionally, many modern transportation systems, such as trains and cars, rely on pulley systems and kinetic energy to function.

What are some advantages of using pulley systems to generate kinetic energy?

There are several advantages to using pulley systems to generate kinetic energy. First, they are a simple and efficient way to lift or move heavy objects. They also allow for the distribution of weight, making it easier to move objects that would otherwise be too heavy for one person to lift. Additionally, pulley systems can be used in a variety of settings and applications, making them a versatile tool for generating kinetic energy.