What number completes the sequence?

• Thread starter Zetep
  • Start date
In summary: As for the missing number, I noticed that the numbers in the last column were all multiples of 9. So when I applied the rule to (3,3), I got 0 as the product of its digits.
Zetep
Shown below is a 4 by 4 matrix:

999 998 997 996
729 648 567 486
126 192 210 192
12 18 ? 18

So far, I've not come up with the 'missing' number, but in the process of attempting to develop some sort of 'magic' solution, I've found some interesting relationships with the other numbers.

For example, the average of a(1,2) and a(1,4), 998 and 996, is the a(1,3) number 997. Then, the average of a(2,2) and a(2,4), 648 and 486, is the C(2,3) number 567.

There seems to be other relationships, i.e., a(3,2) plus a(4,2) equals a(3,3). So does
a(3,4) plus a(4,4) equal a(3,3). Plus other similar associations.

Evidently, my once keen mind is not so keen these days with being able to solve this 'mysterious' matrix. Any counsel, advice and/or assistance would be seriously appreciated.

Zetep

Physics news on Phys.org
The missing number is 0. Each number in the matrix is the product of the digits of the number in the previous row but the same column of the matrix. So the missing number (4,3) is product of the digits of (3,3) or 210 = 2*1*0 = 0.

Found The Missing Number

james1234567890 said:
The missing number is 0. Each number in the matrix is the product of the digits of the number in the previous row but the same column of the matrix. So the missing number (4,3) is product of the digits of (3,3) or 210 = 2*1*0 = 0.

Thanks for your reply ... very much appreciated. Obviously, the solution is straightforward when the method you described is taken. I'm curious to know how it was that you chose to apply your approach. Were there 'clues' given the matrix numbers that appeared visible to your keen eye?

Zetep

Thanks a lot for your appreciation. This idea struck me when I looked at the first two numbers in the first column i.e. 999 and 729. I remembered that 729 is 9 cubed i.e. 9 * 9 * 9. To my surprise, the number below also follwed the same convention i.e. 126 = 7 * 2 * 9. Thereafter I tried to apply this rule to all numbers in the martrix and it turned out to be correct.

What is the concept of "Find The Missing Number"?

"Find The Missing Number" is a mathematical problem-solving technique where a number is intentionally removed from a sequence or set of numbers and the objective is to determine the missing number through logical reasoning and mathematical operations.

Why is "Find The Missing Number" important in scientific research?

"Find The Missing Number" is important in scientific research because it helps in identifying patterns and relationships within data sets. It also allows scientists to make predictions and draw conclusions based on the missing number, which can lead to further experimentation and discoveries.

What are the common strategies used to solve "Find The Missing Number" problems?

The common strategies used to solve "Find The Missing Number" problems include finding the difference between consecutive numbers, looking for patterns, using algebraic equations, and using trial and error or guess and check methods.

How can "Find The Missing Number" be applied in real-life situations?

"Find The Missing Number" can be applied in various real-life situations such as in data analysis, financial forecasting, and even in solving puzzles or games. It can also be used in problem-solving and decision-making processes in fields such as engineering, medicine, and economics.

Are there any tips or tricks for solving "Find The Missing Number" problems efficiently?

Yes, some tips and tricks for solving "Find The Missing Number" problems efficiently include organizing the numbers in a sequence, looking for patterns or relationships, using multiple strategies, and checking the final answer for accuracy. Practicing and honing one's mathematical skills can also make the process more efficient.