How can i express this Infinite series without a summation symbol?

In summary: I'm sorry for repeating the work.In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the sum (1/2) + (2/4) + ... + (n/(2^n)). The conversation suggests using a generating function or a similar procedure for an arbitrary finite n.
bobthebanana
(1/2) + (2/4) + ... + (n/(2^n))

=

sum i=1 to i=infinity of (i/(2^i))?i know how to express the sum of just 1/(2^i), but not the above

thanks for the help!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't understand the question.
1. Do you want a symbolic notation for a sum without using the standard summation symbol?
2. Are you instead asking for how the standard summation symbol looks like?
3. Do you wish to find an alternate expression for the sum, i.e, calculate it in a manner so that it is easy to evaluate it for an arbitrarily chosen n?

I think you mean 3, i.e, how to calculate that sum. Am I right?

yea number 3

[tex]2^{-n} \left(-n+2^{n+1}-2\right)[/tex]

ice109 said:
[tex]2^{-n} \left(-n+2^{n+1}-2\right)[/tex]

This is so instructive...!:rolleyes:

the summation is not 0, the above is only slightly correct ;)

Pere Callahan said:
This is so instructive...!:rolleyes:

did he ask for instruction?

Let us consider the function:
[tex]F(x)=\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}i*x^{i}[/tex]
Note that F(1/2) equals your sum!
Now, we may write:
[tex]F(x)=x*\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}i*x^{i-1}=x*\frac{d}{dx}\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}x^{i}=x*\frac{d}{dx}(\frac{1}{1-x}-1)=\frac{x}{(1-x)^{2}}[/tex]
Hence, we easily gain F(1/2)=2.

For arbitrary finite n, use a similar procedure.

Bah, I wrote a similar response using generating functions... twice... and physics forums died on me both times so nothing was posted.

Arildno's response is entirely correct though

1. How do I express an infinite series without using a summation symbol?

To express an infinite series without a summation symbol, you can use the "dot notation" or ellipsis notation. This involves writing the first few terms of the series, followed by three dots, and then the last term of the series. For example, the infinite series 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + ... can be expressed as 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + ... + n.

2. Can I use a recursive function to express an infinite series without a summation symbol?

Yes, you can use a recursive function to express an infinite series without a summation symbol. This involves defining a function that uses the previous term of the series to calculate the next term. For example, the infinite series 1 + 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 + ... can be expressed as f(1) = 1, f(n) = f(n-1)/2.

3. Is there a way to express an infinite series without using a summation symbol or recursive function?

Yes, you can also express an infinite series using a closed form expression or formula. This involves finding a pattern in the series and creating a formula that can be used to calculate any term of the series. For example, the infinite series 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + ... can be expressed as n(n+1)/2.

4. What are some common techniques for expressing infinite series without a summation symbol?

Some common techniques for expressing infinite series without a summation symbol include using dot notation, recursive functions, and closed form expressions. Other techniques include using limits, geometric series formulas, and partial sums. The best technique to use will depend on the specific series and the desired level of precision.

5. Why would I want to express an infinite series without using a summation symbol?

There are a few reasons why you may want to express an infinite series without using a summation symbol. One reason is that it can make the expression more compact and easier to read. Additionally, some series may not have a closed form expression or may not be easily solvable using traditional summation notation, so using alternative methods may be necessary. Lastly, expressing an infinite series without a summation symbol may be more appropriate for certain mathematical contexts or problems.