Self Inductance of a Coil: Why Not 1/2?

In summary, the self inductance of a coil will decrease by 1/4 if half of the length of wire is re-wound into a coil with the same diameter but with half of the number of turns. This is because the length of the wire and number of turns per unit length are both halved, leading to a decrease in magnetic flux and therefore a decrease in inductance. However, the number of turns per unit length should be calculated using the length of the wire, not the length of the solenoid.
jaejoon89

Homework Statement

How will a coil's self inductance change if you unwind it and then re-wind half of the length of wire into a coil with the same diameter but with half of the number of turns?

The answer is that it will decrease by 1/4, but I don't understand why it isn't 1/2 instead.

Homework Equations

phi (magnetic flux) = LI (where L is inductance, I is current)
n = N/l where "l" is length
B = mew naught * n * I

The Attempt at a Solution

original: L = phi/I = (NBAcostheta) / I = (N* mew naught *n*I*costheta) / I
Now the L with the proposed change: L' = (N/2)* mew naught * ((N/2) / (l/2))* costheta = 1/2 L

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it's because you have confused the length of the solenoid, l, with the length of the wire, 2*pi*R*l, where R is the radius of the coil. The length of the solenoid hasn't changed, only the number of turns per unit length (and the wire's length) have dropped.

Edit:Woopsey, no solenoid mentioned, sorry I've been doing a lot of these and went tunnel vision. Your right the length is halved. Where does your N come from in the NBAcostheta/I?

Last edited:

I would explain that the self inductance of a coil is determined by the number of turns and the geometry of the coil. When the coil is unwound and half of the length of wire is re-wound, the number of turns is halved and the geometry is changed. This results in a decrease in the self inductance by a factor of 1/4, not 1/2. This is because the magnetic field produced by each turn of the coil is not only dependent on the current, but also on the number of turns and the geometry of the coil. Therefore, changing these factors will affect the overall self inductance of the coil. Additionally, the formula for self inductance assumes that the current is evenly distributed throughout the coil, which may not be the case with a halved coil.

What is self inductance?

Self inductance is the property of a coil or circuit to oppose any change in the current flowing through it. It is represented by the symbol L and is measured in Henrys (H).

What factors affect the self inductance of a coil?

The self inductance of a coil is affected by its geometry, number of turns, and the material it is made of. A longer coil with more turns and a higher permeability material will have a higher self inductance.

Why is the self inductance of a coil not always equal to 1/2?

The value of 1/2 is often used as an approximation for the self inductance of a coil, but it is not always accurate. The actual value depends on the geometry and other factors mentioned earlier.

How is self inductance calculated?

The self inductance of a coil can be calculated using the formula L = μN^2A/l, where μ is the permeability of the material, N is the number of turns, A is the cross-sectional area, and l is the length of the coil.

What is the significance of self inductance in circuits?

Self inductance plays a crucial role in the behavior of circuits, especially when there are changes in current or voltage. It can cause voltage spikes and limit the flow of current, affecting the overall performance of the circuit. Understanding self inductance is essential for designing efficient and stable circuits.