IBM to build brain-like computers

In summary, IBM plans to build brain-like computers with the complexity of a cat's brain. This project has sparked some skepticism and criticism, with some saying that it is not particularly groundbreaking or novel. However, IBM's collaboration with Blue Gene supercomputers is still seen as an interesting and potentially innovative venture.
Hippo
IBM to build brain-like computers
By Jason Palmer
Science and technology reporter, BBC News

The ultimate goal is to create a circuit with the complexity of a cat's brain :redface:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7740484.stm

Computer science news on Phys.org
Meh honestly this isn't something to be excited about. I'll believe it when i see it, or even better when its implemented commercially.

I work in this field and I'm pretty sure that this article doesn't actually say anything. They describe essentially the same kinds of things that lots of people are doing and say that they will do it on a Blue Gene... So what? There are already several other supercomputing collaborations to do this sort of thing. One to my knowledge is also trying to use a Blue Gene supercomputer in collaboration with IBM. At least from that news article, it isn't at all clear what is novel about this one.

That isn't to say that their project isn't interesting and novel. It very well might be. Just that, this article about it is pretty useless.

1. What is the purpose of building brain-like computers?

The purpose of building brain-like computers is to create more efficient and powerful computing systems that can mimic the complex processes of the human brain. This can potentially lead to advancements in artificial intelligence and machine learning.

2. How will IBM build brain-like computers?

IBM plans to use a combination of neuroscience-inspired algorithms, advanced computer hardware, and neuroimaging techniques to build brain-like computers. They will also collaborate with experts in the field of neuroscience to further develop their technology.

3. What are the potential applications of brain-like computers?

The potential applications of brain-like computers are vast and varied. They can be used in fields such as healthcare, finance, transportation, and more. Some specific examples include medical diagnosis, financial forecasting, and self-driving cars.

4. How will brain-like computers differ from traditional computers?

Brain-like computers will differ from traditional computers in several ways. They will have a more parallel and distributed architecture, allowing for faster and more efficient processing. They will also be able to learn and adapt, similar to the way the human brain does.

5. What are the potential benefits of brain-like computers?

The potential benefits of brain-like computers include faster and more efficient processing, improved decision-making capabilities, and the ability to handle complex and unstructured data. They could also lead to breakthroughs in various industries and fields, ultimately improving our daily lives.