Building blocks of the conduction and valence band

In summary, the conversation discusses the formation of conduction and valence bands in III-V compound semiconductors and raises the question of why the conduction band is often referred to as the s-orbit type of the group III element and the valence band as the p-orbit type of the group V element, despite both constituents being sp3 hybridized. The conversation also asks for recommendations for further reading on this topic.
BBQBarney
Hi folks,

I am new to PF. First I have to apologize for the following english -- it is not my native language.

I have problems in understanding the formation of the conduction and valence bands of solids:
For example in III-V compound semiconductors both constituents are sp3 hybridized. If one builds the solid piece by piece the single energetic levels split resulting in bands. My question is, why one says that the conduction band is (most) s-orbit type of the group III element and the valance band p-orbit type of the group V element, like the constituents were not hybridized.
Maybe there is a book or paper covering this topic?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
*push*

My question is, why one says that the conduction band is (most) s-orbit type of the group III element and the valance band p-orbit type of the group V element

sounds like a very good question to me. I would like to read more about that. any links?

BBQBarney said:
Hi folks,

I am new to PF. First I have to apologize for the following english -- it is not my native language.

I have problems in understanding the formation of the conduction and valence bands of solids:
For example in III-V compound semiconductors both constituents are sp3 hybridized. If one builds the solid piece by piece the single energetic levels split resulting in bands. My question is, why one says that the conduction band is (most) s-orbit type of the group III element and the valance band p-orbit type of the group V element, like the constituents were not hybridized.
Maybe there is a book or paper covering this topic?

Thanks
s orbit=conduction band and p orbit=valence band I could accept but why 'of group III' and 'of the group V'? doesn't make sense to me.

What are the building blocks of the conduction and valence band?

The building blocks of the conduction and valence band are atoms and electrons. Atoms make up the structure of the band and electrons are the particles that flow through it.

How are the conduction and valence band related?

The conduction and valence band are related through the energy levels of the electrons. The valence band contains the highest energy levels of the electrons while the conduction band contains the next highest energy levels. These bands are separated by a bandgap, which determines the conductivity of the material.

What is the role of the conduction and valence band in electrical conductivity?

The electrons in the conduction band are free to move and carry electric charge, making them responsible for the electrical conductivity of a material. The valence band, on the other hand, determines the number of electrons available for conduction. A material with a small bandgap will have more electrons in the conduction band, making it a better conductor.

How do impurities affect the conduction and valence band?

Impurities can introduce extra energy levels within the bandgap, affecting the distribution of electrons in the conduction and valence bands. This can either increase or decrease the conductivity of the material, depending on the type of impurities.

What is bandgap engineering and how does it impact the conduction and valence band?

Bandgap engineering refers to the manipulation of the bandgap of a material to achieve specific properties, such as increased conductivity or light absorption. This can be done by introducing impurities or changing the composition of the material. The conduction and valence bands are directly impacted by bandgap engineering, as their energy levels are altered to achieve the desired properties.