Integrating (x^2-1)^n: How to Get to the Answer?

• Thread starter raul_l
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, the conversation discusses different strategies for solving an integral and ultimately finds the solution using the binomial expansion and trigonometric reduction formulas. The final solution is \frac{2}{2n+1}.
raul_l

Homework Statement

The whole expression is
[tex] \frac{(-1)^n (2n)!}{2^{2n} (n!)^2} \int^{1}_{-1} (x^2-1)^n dx [/tex]
and the answer should be
[tex] \frac{2}{2n+1} [/tex]
but I don't know how to get there.

I came across this while checking the orthogonality of the associated Legendre functions.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First I tried integrating by parts.
[tex] \int^{1}_{-1} (x^2-1)^n dx = \int^{1}_{-1} (x^2-1)^{n-1} (x^2-1) dx = [/tex]
[tex] = [(x^2-1)^{n-1} (x^3/3-x)]^{1}_{-1} - 2(n-1) \int^{1}_{-1} (x^2-1)^{n-2} x(x^3/3-x) dx = [/tex]
[tex] = - 2(n-1) \int^{1}_{-1} (x^2-1)^{n-2} x(x^3/3-x) dx [/tex]

I think that by integrating by parts I would eventually get rid of n under the integral sign which is good but the integrand itself gets more and more complicated so I'm not sure whether I should continue doing this.

Then I tried making the substitution [tex] x \rightarrow cos(x) [/tex]

[tex] \int^{1}_{-1} (x^2-1)^n dx = - \int^{0}_{\pi} (cos^2 (x)-1)^{n} sin(x) dx = [/tex]
[tex] = \int^{\pi}_{0} (-1)^n sin^2 (x)^{2n-1} dx [/tex]

and again, I'm not sure whether that will lead me anywhere or not.

And guidance would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try the binomial expansion of [itex](x^2-1)^n[/itex] and exploit the fact that the interval of integration is [-1, 1]. Hint: even vs. odd terms. See if that gets anywhere.

--Elucidus

Last edited:
Yes, I forgot to mention earlier that I had also tried the binomial formula.

[tex] \int^{1}_{-1} (x^2-1)^n dx = \int^{1}_{-1} \sum^n_{k=0} \frac{n!}{k!(n-k)!} x^{2n-2k} (-1)^k dx = \sum^n_{k=0} \frac{(-1)^k n!}{k!(n-k)!} \int^{1}_{-1} x^{2n-2k} dx = \sum^n_{k=0} \frac{(-1)^k n!}{k!(n-k)!} \frac{2}{2n-2k+1} [/tex]

So far the expression has become

[tex] \frac{(-1)^n (2n)!}{2^{2n} (n!)^2} \sum^n_{k=0} \frac{(-1)^k n!}{k!(n-k)!} \frac{2}{2n-2k+1} [/tex]

which has to be equal to [tex] \frac{2}{2n+1} [/tex]

I still don't understand how.
Perhaps there are some formulas that could be used but I'm unaware of.

Most of the derivation is given in this book: http://physics.bgu.ac.il/~gedalin/Teaching/Mater/mmp.pdf
I understand all of it except the very end (page 311).

Okay, I can use
[tex] \int sin^n (x) dx = -\frac{1}{n}sin^{n-1}(x) cos (x) + \frac{n-1}{n} \int sin^{n-2}(x)dx [/tex]

which in my case becomes
[tex] \int^{\pi}_0 sin^n (x) dx = \frac{n-1}{n} \int^{\pi}_0 sin^{n-2}(x)dx [/tex]

Now
[tex] \frac{(-1)^n (2n)!}{2^{2n} (n!)^2} \int^{\pi}_{0} (-1)^n sin^{2n+1}(x) dx = [/tex]

[tex] = \frac{(2n)!}{2^{2n} (n!)^2} \frac{2n}{2n+1} \int^{\pi}_{0} sin^{2n-1}(x) dx = [/tex]

[tex] = \frac{(2n)!}{2^{2n} (n!)^2} \frac{2n(2n-2)}{(2n+1)(2n-1)} \int^{\pi}_{0} sin^{2n-3}(x) dx = [/tex]

[tex] = \frac{(2n)!}{2^{2n} (n!)^2} \frac{2n(2n-2)...(2n-2n+2)}{(2n+1)(2n-1)...(2n-2n+1)} \int^{\pi}_{0} sin(x) dx = [/tex]

[tex] = \frac{(2n)!}{2^{2n} (n!)^2} \frac{2^n n(n-1)...1}{(2n+1)(2n-1)...(2n-2n+1)} 2 = [/tex]

[tex] = \frac{(2n)!n!}{2^n (n!)^2} 2 \frac{2n(2n-2)...2}{(2n+1)2n(2n-1)...1} = [/tex]

[tex] = \frac{(2n)!}{2^n n!} 2 \frac{2^n n(n-1)...1}{(2n+1)!} = [/tex]

[tex] = \frac{2}{2n+1} [/tex]

Problem solved. Thank you.

1. What is the general formula for integrating (x^2-1)^n?

The general formula for integrating (x^2-1)^n is (1/2^(n+1)) * (x * (x^2-1)^(n+1) - n * ∫(x^2-1)^n dx). This formula is derived using the power rule for integration and the substitution method.

2. How do I determine the limits of integration for (x^2-1)^n?

The limits of integration for (x^2-1)^n depend on the specific problem you are trying to solve. Generally, the limits will be the values of x where the function is defined. For example, if you are integrating (x^2-1)^3 from x=0 to x=2, your limits of integration would be 0 and 2.

3. Can I simplify the integral of (x^2-1)^n?

Yes, the integral of (x^2-1)^n can be simplified using the binomial theorem. The binomial theorem states that (a+b)^n = ∑(n choose k) * a^(n-k) * b^k, where k ranges from 0 to n. By substituting x^2 for a and -1 for b, we can simplify the integral to (1/2^(n+1)) * ∑(n choose k) * (-1)^k * x^(2(n-k)).

4. What is the process for solving (x^2-1)^n using integration by parts?

The process for solving (x^2-1)^n using integration by parts is as follows:

1. Choose u and dv for the integral ∫u dv, where u is the function that becomes simpler when differentiated and dv is the function that becomes simpler when integrated.
  2. Use the integration by parts formula: ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du.
  3. Simplify the integral on the right side of the equation by using the power rule for integration and the substitution method.
  4. Repeat until the integral on the right side becomes solvable.
  5. Substitute the original u and dv back into the final integral to get the solution.

5. Can I use trigonometric substitution to solve (x^2-1)^n?

Yes, you can use trigonometric substitution to solve (x^2-1)^n. This method involves substituting x with a trigonometric function to simplify the integral. For example, if n is even, you can substitute x with sinθ or cosθ. If n is odd, you can substitute x with tanθ or secθ. After substituting, you can use the appropriate trigonometric identities to solve the integral.