Can You Fit the Entire Encyclopaedia Britannica on a Pinhead?

• Thread starter CampRock
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses Richard Feynman's proposal to write the entire Encyclopedia Britannica on the head of a pin. The conversation then moves on to estimating the size of the letters needed and the number of atoms across each letter using the given information. The requester also seeks assistance in determining the average number of letters in a word.
CampRock

Homework Statement

Richard Feynman propsed writing the entrie Encyclopaedia Brittanica on the head of a pin.
1) Estimate the size of the letters needed if we suppose a pinhead is 1/16 in across.
2) If the atomic spacing is 5x10^(-10)m, how many atoms across is each letter?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I assume that the average Britannica contains 50 million words, but what I need is the average areas of a pinhead compared to Britannica (which I can't figure out how to get values of).
I've also estimated the answer to be 10^(-8) atoms from some articles I have read, but I unfortunately can't come up how to get that solution.

A little help please? It's due tomorrow morning

Physics news on Phys.org

Welcome to Physics Forums.

You are given the size of the pinhead, assuming that it is circular, you can then determine the area of the pin head.

The next step is then to estimate the average number of letters in a word - such things are undoubtedly available on the internet.

!

I would start by acknowledging that Feynman's proposal is a thought experiment and not a practical or feasible idea. The concept is meant to highlight the vast amount of information that can be contained in a small space.

For the first question, to estimate the size of the letters needed, we can make some assumptions. Let's assume that each word in Britannica contains an average of 6 letters and there are 50 million words, that would mean there are approximately 300 million letters in the encyclopedia. If we divide that by the area of a pinhead (1/16 in²), we get an average of 18.75 million letters per square inch. This means that each letter would need to be extremely small, around 0.0000000533 inches in size.

For the second question, we can use the formula A = L^2, where A is the area and L is the length of each side of the letter. Since we know the area of a pinhead (1/16 in²) and the atomic spacing (5x10^-10 m), we can set up the following equation:

1/16 in² = (L x 5x10^-10 m)^2

Solving for L, we get L = 1.12x10^-9 m. This means that each letter would be approximately 1.12 nanometers in size.

To determine how many atoms across each letter would be, we can divide the length of the letter (1.12x10^-9 m) by the atomic spacing (5x10^-10 m). This gives us approximately 2.24 atoms across each letter.

It's important to note that these calculations are based on assumptions and estimations, and the actual size and number of atoms across each letter may vary. However, it gives us a general idea of the scale and magnitude of Feynman's thought experiment.

What is "Britannica on a Pinhead"?

"Britannica on a Pinhead" is a hypothetical concept that illustrates the vast amount of knowledge contained within the Britannica Encyclopedia. It suggests that even if all the information in the encyclopedia were condensed and written on the head of a pin, it would still contain a tremendous amount of information.

Who came up with the concept of "Britannica on a Pinhead"?

The concept of "Britannica on a Pinhead" can be traced back to the medieval philosopher William of Ockham. However, the exact phrase was coined by the philosopher and poet Jorge Luis Borges in his book "The Analytical Language of John Wilkins."

How does "Britannica on a Pinhead" relate to the modern information age?

The concept of "Britannica on a Pinhead" serves as a metaphor for the overwhelming amount of information available to us in the modern age. With the rise of the internet and technology, we have access to an almost unlimited amount of information, much like the vast knowledge contained within the Britannica Encyclopedia.

Is "Britannica on a Pinhead" a realistic concept?

While the idea of condensing all the knowledge in the Britannica Encyclopedia onto the head of a pin may seem far-fetched, it serves as a reminder of the incredible amount of information that humans have accumulated and the potential for even more knowledge in the future.

How can we make sense of the vast amount of information in the world?

The concept of "Britannica on a Pinhead" emphasizes the importance of critical thinking and discernment when it comes to sorting through information. In a world where information is readily available, it is crucial to evaluate sources and determine what is relevant and accurate.