From sum to integral in solid state

In summary, we discussed the use of integrals and summations in solid state physics, particularly in the context of the first Brillouin zone. We also noted that these expressions only hold if the integrand is isotropic, and gave examples of when this may not be the case. We also pointed out that in 1D, there is no pi term in the integral.
Petar Mali
In solid state we often have case

[tex]\sum_{\vec{k}}F(\vec{k})=\frac{V}{h^3}\int_{I bz} F(\vec{p})d^3\vec{p}[/tex]

Integral goes into first Briolen zone.

We can always say that

[tex]\frac{V}{h^3}\int_{I bz} F(\vec{p})d^3\vec{p}=4\pi \frac{V}{h^3}\int^{\infty}_{0}F(p)p^2dp[/tex]

In 2D we will have integral

[tex]\frac{S}{h^2}\int_{I bz} F(\vec{p})d^2\vec{p}[/tex]

where [tex]d^2\vec{p}=2\pi pdp[/tex]

Am I right?

Can you tell me what I will have in 1D? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Petar Mali said:
We can always say that
[tex]\frac{V}{h^3}\int_{I bz} F(\vec{p})d^3\vec{p}=4\pi \frac{V}{h^3}\int^{\infty}_{0}F(p)p^2dp[/tex]

Only if F(p) is isotropic, i.e., it does not depend on angles.

[tex]\frac{S}{h^2}\int_{I bz} F(\vec{p})d^2\vec{p}[/tex] where [tex]d^2\vec{p}=2\pi pdp[/tex]

Again, only if F(p) is isotropic, i.e., it does not depend on angles.
Can you tell me what I will have in 1D? Thanks!

L/h*...*dp

Petar Mali said:
In solid state we often have case

[tex]\sum_{\vec{k}}F(\vec{k})=\frac{V}{h^3}\int_{I bz} F(\vec{p})d^3\vec{p}[/tex]

Integral goes into first Briolen zone.

Two other tiny comments: 1) It's spelled "Brilluoin" not "Briolen"; 2) I might not use the letters "I bz" to mean "first Brillouin zone" since it might be confused with "irreducible Brillouin zone". Cheers.

Bob_for_short said:
Only if F(p) is isotropic, i.e., it does not depend on angles.

Again, only if F(p) is isotropic, i.e., it does not depend on angles.

L/h*...*dp

When I don't have isotropy in crystal lattice? Some example!

So you say

[tex]\sum_kF(k)=\frac{L}{h}\int^{\infty}_0dpp[/tex]

?

I don't have some [tex]\pi[/tex] or something?

olgranpappy said:
Two other tiny comments: 1) It's spelled "Brilluoin" not "Briolen"; 2) I might not use the letters "I bz" to mean "first Brillouin zone" since it might be confused with "irreducible Brillouin zone". Cheers.

Thanks! Yes I meant first Brilluoin zone! I will have that in mind. And what is irreducible Brilluoin zone?

Petar Mali said:
When I don't have isotropy in crystal lattice? Some example!

In any real crystal the symmetry is at most cubic not completely isotropic. For example, in simple cubic polonium there will not be a spherical fermi surface--the energy is not a quadratic function of the momentum but rather will have cubic terms. Thus, the expression for the DOS in polonium would be an example of a sum in momentum space in which the integrand is not isotropic.

Petar Mali said:
...I don't have some [tex]\pi[/tex] or something?
No, in 1D case there is no pi. 2*pi and 4*pi arise from integration over angles. In case of 3D space the total solid angle is 4*pi. In 2D space the total angle is 2*pi. They follow from definition of dp.

1. What is the difference between a sum and an integral in solid state physics?

In solid state physics, a sum is a discrete calculation that involves adding up a finite number of terms, while an integral is a continuous calculation that involves finding the area under a curve. In other words, a sum is a discrete summing of individual values, while an integral is a continuous summing of all values within a given range.

2. Why is the concept of integration important in solid state physics?

Integration is important in solid state physics because it allows us to calculate important physical quantities such as energy, heat capacity, and conductivity. It also helps us understand the behavior of materials at a microscopic level and make predictions about their properties and behavior.

3. Can you provide an example of how integration is used in solid state physics?

One example of how integration is used in solid state physics is in calculating the band structure of a crystalline solid. The band structure is a plot of the energy levels of electrons in the solid, and it is calculated by integrating the Schrödinger equation over the entire Brillouin zone of the crystal.

4. How does the concept of integration relate to the concept of density of states in solid state physics?

In solid state physics, the density of states is a measure of the number of available energy states per unit volume in a material. The density of states is calculated by integrating the energy levels of electrons over a given range. Therefore, integration is directly related to the concept of density of states, as it is used to determine the number of energy states available in a material.

5. Are there any limitations to using integration in solid state physics?

While integration is a powerful tool in solid state physics, there are some limitations to its use. For example, the calculations can become very complex for more complicated systems, and the accuracy of the results depends on the assumptions and approximations made in the integration process. Additionally, integration may not be suitable for describing systems with strong electron-electron interactions or for studying very high energy phenomena.