Calculating CO2 Released in Propane BBQ Reaction

In summary, the balanced chemical reaction for the combustion of propane in a BBQ is C3H8 + 5 O2 ---> 3 CO2 + 4 H2O. Approximately 3000J of heat is released in this reaction. If a roast takes approximately 1500J of heat to cook and only 10% of the heat is actually used to cook the roast, the mass of CO2 released into the atmosphere is approximately 66g. This is calculated by comparing the moles of CO2 produced in the original equation to the moles needed to cook the roast, with the difference being approximately 66g.
rowkem
I've changed the numbers a bit so things work out a little easier

Homework Statement

The combustion of propane in a BBQ follows the balanced chemical reaction:

C3H8 + 5 O2 ---> 3 CO2 + 4 H2O

As this reaction occurs, approximatley 3000J of heat is released. If a roast takes approx. 1500J of heat to cook and only 10% of the heat is actually used to cook the roast, what mass of CO2 is released into the atmosphere?

Homework Equations

PV=nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm asking this more as a check as to the process I went through, which was as follows:

1) Figured out how much 10% of 3000J was; 300J
2) Re-wrote the equation in terms of 300J:

0.10C3H8 + 0.50 O2 ---> 0.30 CO2 + 0.40 H2O

Using that equation figured out how many moles of CO2 it would take in order to cook the roast: (1500/300)(0.30) = 1.5 moles

Fgured out how many grams of CO2 that was: ~66g

Compared that to the mass of CO2 released in the original equation: ~132

Found the difference between the 2 values: 132-66 = ~66g

So 66g of CO2 is released into the atmosphere...is that correct?

Physics news on Phys.org

I got 15 X 44g or 660 grams of CO2.

Does it actually take 1500J to cook the roast or 10% of 1500J? It wasn't clear from the way you phrased the question but I took it to mean that of the Joules of heat produced in the combustion of propane, only 10% are absorbed by the roast. That means you will need 10 X 1500 J to cook the roast.

I would like to commend you on your thorough approach to solving this problem. Your calculations and reasoning are correct. However, I would like to point out that the mass of CO2 released into the atmosphere would actually be the same as the mass of CO2 used in the reaction, which is 66g. This is because the conservation of mass states that matter cannot be created or destroyed in a chemical reaction, it can only be converted from one form to another. Therefore, the same amount of CO2 that is used in the reaction to cook the roast is also released into the atmosphere. Keep up the good work!

1. How do you calculate the amount of CO2 released in a propane BBQ reaction?

The amount of CO2 released in a propane BBQ reaction can be calculated using the formula: CO2 released = (mass of propane burned) x (moles of CO2 produced per mole of propane) x (molar mass of CO2). The mass of propane burned can be determined by weighing the propane tank before and after use. The moles of CO2 produced per mole of propane is 3, and the molar mass of CO2 is 44 grams per mole.

2. What is the chemical reaction that occurs when propane is burned in a BBQ?

The chemical reaction that occurs when propane is burned in a BBQ is: C3H8 + 5O2 -> 3CO2 + 4H2O. This reaction involves the combustion of propane, which produces carbon dioxide (CO2) and water (H2O) as byproducts.

3. How does the amount of CO2 released in a propane BBQ reaction compare to other cooking methods?

The amount of CO2 released in a propane BBQ reaction is relatively low compared to other cooking methods. For example, grilling with charcoal can release up to 11 pounds of CO2 per hour, while using an electric oven can release up to 2.7 pounds of CO2 per hour. Propane BBQs typically release around 5.6 pounds of CO2 per hour.

4. Can using a propane BBQ contribute to global warming?

Yes, using a propane BBQ can contribute to global warming. Propane is a fossil fuel, meaning it is derived from natural resources that took millions of years to form. When burned, it releases carbon dioxide (CO2) into the atmosphere, which contributes to the greenhouse effect and global warming.

5. Are there any ways to reduce the amount of CO2 released in a propane BBQ reaction?

Yes, there are ways to reduce the amount of CO2 released in a propane BBQ reaction. One way is to use a more efficient BBQ that burns propane more cleanly. Another way is to limit the amount of propane used by only cooking what is needed and avoiding excessive preheating. Additionally, using a BBQ cover can help retain heat and reduce the need for excess propane.