Dirac Delta Scaling: Solving the Integral Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses how to use the defining property of the Dirac delta function to show that \delta(ax)=\frac{1}{|a|}\delta(x). This is achieved by making appropriate u substitutions and taking into account the relation between the two delta functions. The absolute value comes into play when considering the change of integration limits when a is negative.
donquixote17
Using the defining property of the dirac delta function,
[tex]\int{dx f(x) \delta(x-c)}[/tex]

show that
[tex]\delta(ax)=\frac{1}{|a|}\delta(x)[/tex]

I think all I need to do is make the right u substitutions and it will come out right, but I can't think of how to make the substitutions...after a long time working on this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean delta(ax)=delta(x)/|a|. Not c. Just substitute u=ax. Compare delta(x) with delta(u). Don't forget du=a*dx. And show what you are actually doing this time. The integral of f(x-c)*delta(x)*dx equals f(c). The integral of f(u-c)*delta(u)*du must also equal f(c). What's the relation between the two deltas?

Last edited:
Thanks Dick, I kind of get the right answer, but it's just not the way I was thinking about it, so starting with the defining property we have
[tex]\int{dx f(x) \delta(x-c)}[/tex]

I make the u substitution u=ax, and du=a dx
[tex]\frac{1}{a}\int{du f(u/a) \delta(u/a-c)}[/tex]

So that right there tells me that [tex]\delta(ax)=\frac{1}{a}\delta(x)[/tex], but the problem states that it should be [tex]\delta(ax)=\frac{1}{|a|}\delta(x)[/tex]

So I'm not sure where the absolute value comes in.

If a is negative, then the change of variable makes integration limits reverse from -infinity to +infinity to +infinity to -infinity. To turn it back into a proper delta function, you have to turn them back. That introduces an extra sign. See what I'm saying?

yes that makes sense. Thanks!

1. What is the Dirac Delta function and how is it used in scaling?

The Dirac Delta function, denoted as δ(x), is a mathematical function that is used to represent an infinitely narrow spike at a specific point. In scaling, it is used to describe the distribution of charges or mass at a point in space, and is often used in integral equations to solve for unknown quantities.

2. How does Dirac Delta scaling help in solving integral equations?

Dirac Delta scaling is used to simplify integral equations by reducing them to a set of linear equations. This method involves multiplying both sides of the integral equation by the Dirac Delta function, which allows for the integration to be easily performed and eliminates the need for complex integration techniques.

3. What are the benefits of using Dirac Delta scaling in solving integral equations?

Using Dirac Delta scaling can greatly simplify the process of solving integral equations, making it easier to obtain accurate solutions. It also allows for the incorporation of boundary conditions and other constraints, making it a versatile and powerful tool in mathematical modeling and analysis.

4. Can Dirac Delta scaling be applied to any type of integral equation?

Yes, Dirac Delta scaling can be used for a variety of integral equations, including those in differential equations, physics, and engineering. It is a widely applicable method that can be adapted to different types of problems and systems.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using Dirac Delta scaling?

One potential limitation of Dirac Delta scaling is that it assumes a point source distribution of charges or mass, which may not always accurately represent the actual physical system. Additionally, the method may become more complex for higher-dimensional systems, making it more difficult to solve in those cases.