How we can prove boltzman constant?

• Thread starter phys111
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Constant
In summary, the Boltzmann constant, k, is a fundamental physical constant that relates energy and temperature. It can be found experimentally by using Boyle's Law.
phys111
hello all

if some one here can help me to prove boltzman costant

from SI unit to reach that k= 1.0356 x 10-22 Torr-liter/K ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know how you can 'prove' an experimental value. But I can tell you how to measure it.

Simplest way would just be to measure the Ideal Gas Constant, since that's just Boltzmann's constant in disguise ([tex]R = N_Ak_B[/tex]). Take a fixed amount of a relatively ideal gas (e.g. helium) at a fixed volume. Vary the temperature and measure the pressure. Plot p against T and the slope is N*kB.

thanks

but i need just to calculate it ?

I don't know what you expect to calculate it from? It's a physical constant, not a mathematical one. It's the fundamental relationship between energy and temperature. For different units of either, it wouldn't be needed at all.

The Kelvin scale of temperature is defined by the triple point of water, and so the Boltzmann constant in SI units is determined by that as well.

we can start from this relation

PV=N KT

& use convert from SI unit to This unit but i don't reach for the same result

Oh sorry, I thought you meant to somehow calculate it. You're saying you want to convert units.

Well if your pressure and volume is in SI units, pV = Pa*m3, so if you want it in Torr-liters you want to multiply by Pascal/Torr and liters/m3.
So (1/133.322368)*1000.

So 1.3806504E-23 (Pa*m3) =1.380 6504E-23*(1000/133.322368) (Torr*Liters) = 1.03513E-22 (Torr*Liters)

yes , right

but i don't understand
1.3806504E-23 (Pa*m3)
how you found it
if u can explane to me more

phys111 said:
yes , right

but i don't understand
1.3806504E-23 (Pa*m3)
how you found it
if u can explane to me more
That is the accepted value in SI units, which anybody can find using Google. The value is given by many sources:
It is not clear what the source of your confusion is. Do you want to know:
  • How is k determined experimentally?
  • Where can you look up the value of k?
  • Why are the units Pa*m3/K ?
  • Other?

thanks

we can find that from Boyle's Law

right

1. What is the Boltzmann Constant?

The Boltzmann Constant (symbol: k or kB) is a fundamental physical constant that relates the average energy of a system to its temperature.

2. How is the Boltzmann Constant measured?

The Boltzmann Constant is measured through experiments that involve measuring the physical properties of gases, such as their pressure, volume, and temperature. These measurements are then used to calculate the value of the constant.

3. Can the Boltzmann Constant be derived from other physical constants?

Yes, the Boltzmann Constant can be derived from other physical constants, such as the Avogadro Constant and the Gas Constant. It is also related to the Universal Gas Constant and the Planck Constant.

4. How does the Boltzmann Constant relate to thermodynamics?

The Boltzmann Constant is a key component in the field of thermodynamics, which studies the relationship between heat, energy, and work. It appears in various equations, such as the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution and the laws of thermodynamics, and helps to quantify the behavior of systems at the molecular level.

5. Why is the Boltzmann Constant important?

The Boltzmann Constant is important because it allows us to connect the microscopic behavior of particles to the macroscopic properties of materials and systems. It plays a crucial role in many areas of science, including physics, chemistry, and engineering, and helps to explain phenomena such as temperature, heat transfer, and entropy.