Co-op vs Internship for ChemE: NASA or Space Program Feasibility?

In summary, the person is an entering freshman in chemical engineering and is considering doing a co-op program or summer internships. They are interested in working at NASA or another space program, but are unsure if it is feasible for a chemE major. They are also wondering how grad schools view co-ops vs internships and if they have to decide now. They mention restarting from first year engineering and are confident they will complete their school's year-long internship program. They will need six years to graduate, but are fine with it as it counts towards the work experience requirement to become a P.Engg in their country.
Null_
I'm going to be in chemical engineering and am debating between the two. I want to go to grad school (probably just Master's). If I did Co-op, I'd likely take 5 years to graduate, where as if I did summer internships I would take 4. (I'm an entering freshman). I REALLY want to get a co-op or internship at NASA or another space program, but I don't know how feasible that is being a chemE major. How hard would it be to gain a spot in one of these programs? Ideally Goddard MD as I have housing arrangements easily set up there. My school has a strong program, but we're not affiliated with many companies outside of our region (which happens to not have much space industry).

How do grad schools look at co-ops vs. internships? I got the impression that co-ops are mainly for those not pursuing further education, but then I'm still in the beginning stages of research.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have to decide now? That would seem odd, since you're just starting. Most school co-ops or full year internships are done after third year I think.

Anyway, I'm restarting from first year engineering after finishing a first year in physics. I'm pretty confident I will complete my school's year-long internship program. At my university 99% of the students who apply for the program find get a position. It increases your chances of getting hired after graduation, and I don't see why it would be anything but a positive experience for a future grad student.
Overall I will need six years to graduate, but I'm fine with it. I'm not sure if it's the same in your country, but in where I live (Alberta, Canada) it also counts as one year towards the work experience requirement needed to become a P.Engg.

What is the difference between a co-op and an internship?

A co-op is a longer-term work experience that typically alternates between periods of full-time work and full-time study. An internship is a shorter-term work experience that is typically done during the summer or a semester break.

Which is better for a ChemE student, a co-op or an internship?

This ultimately depends on the individual student and their goals. A co-op may provide more in-depth and diverse work experience, while an internship may allow for more networking opportunities. It is important to consider your career goals and what you hope to gain from the experience.

What are the benefits of working for NASA or a space program as a ChemE co-op or intern?

Working for NASA or a space program can offer a unique and exciting opportunity for ChemE students. They may have the chance to work on cutting-edge projects and gain hands-on experience in a highly specialized industry. Additionally, working for a prestigious organization like NASA can also be a valuable addition to a resume.

What are the qualifications and requirements for a co-op or internship at NASA or a space program?

The qualifications and requirements for a co-op or internship at NASA or a space program may vary depending on the specific position. Generally, students will need to have a strong academic background in chemistry or chemical engineering, as well as relevant coursework or experience. They may also need to meet certain security clearance requirements.

How can I increase my chances of getting a co-op or internship at NASA or a space program?

To increase your chances of getting a co-op or internship at NASA or a space program, it is important to have a strong academic record, relevant coursework or experience, and a clear understanding of your career goals. It may also be beneficial to network with professionals in the industry and to gain experience through relevant extracurricular activities or projects.