What are the equations for the Fresnel power coefficients?

In summary, the conversation discusses using the Fresnel power coefficients in a question and how it differs from using the Fresnel amplitude coefficients. The equations for the Fresnel power coefficients are not readily available and the earlier question involved varying angles, while the current one has a fixed angle. The participants also mention using MATLAB and calculating the relation between amplitudes to determine the coefficient. Overall, the main topic is understanding and using the Fresnel power coefficients.
Gogsey
Hi,

I'm doing a question using the Fresnel power coefficients, not the Fresnel amplitude coefficients. We can use MATLAB for this, but we are given a fixed angle of incidence of 45 deg so its really just one calculation, as opposed to an earlier question where the angle varied between 0 and 90 deg. We are given the refractive indices.

But what are these equations, lol. We're supposed to look them up but I can't find them.

The earlier question talked about the Fresnel amplitude coefficients, and this current question tells us to use the Fresnel power coefficients so I assume they are different.

Thanks a lot

Liam

Physics news on Phys.org
I've never heard of Fresnel power coefficient, but I guess it's similar to reflection coefficient. Then if you can calculate the relation between amplitudes, since power ~ intensity ~ amplitude^2, you can calculate the coefficient, right? :smile:

Hi Thanks,

yeah all we had to do was square the Fresnel amplitude reflection coefficient to get the power reflection coefficient and use 1-R2 to get the Fresnel power transmission coefficient.

What are Fresnel power coefficients?

Fresnel power coefficients are mathematical expressions that describe the amount of light that is reflected and transmitted at an interface between two different media, such as air and glass.

What is the significance of Fresnel power coefficients in optics?

Fresnel power coefficients are important in optics because they help us understand and predict how light behaves when it encounters a change in medium. They also play a critical role in determining the reflectance and transmittance of light at different angles and for different polarizations.

How are Fresnel power coefficients calculated?

Fresnel power coefficients are calculated using the Fresnel equations, which take into account the refractive indices of the two media, the angle of incidence, and the polarization of the incident light. These equations can be solved for both the reflected and transmitted light intensities.

What factors can affect Fresnel power coefficients?

The refractive indices of the two media, the angle of incidence, and the polarization of the incident light are the main factors that can affect Fresnel power coefficients. Other factors, such as the surface roughness of the interface and the wavelength of the incident light, can also have an impact.

How are Fresnel power coefficients used in practical applications?

Fresnel power coefficients are used in a variety of practical applications, such as in the design of anti-reflective coatings for lenses and windows, in the development of optical devices like polarizers and waveplates, and in the study of light propagation through different media.