Natural response and step response

In summary, a circuit with a current source in parallel with an inductor, resistor, and capacitor does not have a specific response type. The response depends on the presence of a step in the current source or nonzero initial conditions. A natural response refers to the steady-state behavior of the circuit, while a step response is when a sudden change in voltage or current is applied. Step response also takes into account the initial voltage or current of the capacitors or inductors.
2slowtogofast
ok i need some clarification if you have a circuit where a current source is in parallel with an inductor a resistor and a capacitor is this considered a natural response or a step response. I guess i thought a step response is if a switch is switched and a source is added then it is a step response not if it was there the whole time.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Not sure what a "natural response" is... Perhaps it means the steady-state behavior since "step response" is pretty much what you describe: how the circuit behaves when a sudden change in voltage or current is applied.

2slowtogofast said:
ok i need some clarification if you have a circuit where a current source is in parallel with an inductor a resistor and a capacitor is this considered a natural response or a step response.
Neither. It's just considered a circuit.

If the current source contains a step then there will be a step response. If there are nonzero initial conditions then there will be a natural response.

natural response means the a capacitor/inductor is discharging such that after a long time, the voltage and currents approaches 0

step response is when a source will try to charge the inductors capacitors such that after a long time, the capacitors/inductors connected will be charged. if the capacitors/inductors have high initial voltage/current than what the source has to offer they can discharge until it reaches a steady charged state with a lower voltage/current. please correct me, this is how i understand step and natural response

1. What is the difference between natural response and step response?

Natural response is the response of a system to an initial or steady-state input without any external input or forcing function. It is solely dependent on the system's inherent properties. On the other hand, step response is the response of a system to a sudden change in input, usually represented by a step function. It shows how the system reacts to a change in the input signal.

2. How do we calculate the natural response of a system?

The natural response of a system can be calculated by finding the inverse Laplace transform of the transfer function of the system. This will give us the differential equation governing the natural response, which can be solved to obtain the natural response of the system.

3. What factors affect the natural response of a system?

The natural response of a system is affected by various factors such as the system's initial conditions, the system's transfer function, and the system's order. The initial conditions include the initial values of the system's state variables, while the transfer function represents the system's dynamics. The order of the system refers to the number of energy storage elements in the system.

4. How does the step response help in analyzing a system?

The step response helps in analyzing a system by providing insights into the system's stability, speed of response, and overall behavior. It can also be used to determine the system's settling time, rise time, and peak time. By analyzing the step response, we can make adjustments to the system to improve its performance.

5. Can a system have a natural response and a step response simultaneously?

Yes, a system can have both a natural response and a step response at the same time. The natural response will be present in all cases, while the step response will only occur if there is a sudden change in the input signal. In such cases, the overall response of the system will be a combination of both the natural and step response.