Plane Indices: An Interesting Debate

In summary, the conversation is about determining the Miller indices of a plane given its milled indices. There is some disagreement and confusion about the correct answer and the origin point. The expert advises that as long as the origin is not lying in the plane, the Miller indices should be accurate, but also mentions that these indices are not commonly used in real condensed matter.
Shriphysics
Hi Guys,
What are the milled indices of plane (see attached figure). Its very interesting...and I am receiving every-time different answer from others.
Have a look.

Shriphy

Attachments

• MI.jpg
    MI.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 324
Physics news on Phys.org
Remember you can put the origin at any lattice point.

Bravo Johng23,
Your answer is perfect...I was checking all suggestion by inserting values on the link http://www.doitpoms.ac.uk/tlplib/miller_indices/lattice_draw.php
but no value was leading for this plane except yours.
But still I can't say that I got it 100%. Here x intercept is 1, y intercept is 0 and z is 1/2. So according to definition Miller indices should be reduced reciprocal of intercept...then what about x intercept...which should not be 0??
correct me please

Hi Johng23,
I got that if we consider origin at b=1 on given y-axis point then indices are as you said...but if we consider origin at some other points (suppose a=1 on x axis) then answer will be different. Kindly is there any idea rule to consider origin??
In any case thanks for your consideration.

shriphy

Shriphy

It the plane goes through the origin, every intercept is zero. That's not very helpful in determining which plane it is. As long as the origin is not lying in the plane you should be fine.

Don't worry, Miller indices are an archaic tool used by "material scientists" and don't come up in real condensed matter.

Wow, that's pretty arrogant.

1. What are plane indices?

Plane indices are a way to describe the orientation of a crystal lattice in three-dimensional space. They are used to identify the position and orientation of a plane within a crystal structure.

2. How are plane indices determined?

There are several different methods for determining plane indices, but the most common is the Miller index system. This system assigns three integers (h, k, l) to each plane based on its intercepts with the crystal axes.

3. Why is there debate surrounding plane indices?

The debate surrounding plane indices centers around the fact that there are multiple systems for determining them and different schools of thought on which system is best. Some argue that the Miller index system is the most intuitive, while others prefer alternative systems such as the Wulff net method.

4. What are the practical applications of understanding plane indices?

Understanding plane indices is crucial for crystallography, as it allows scientists to identify and study the properties of different crystal planes. This knowledge is also important in materials science, as it can help in the design and engineering of new materials with specific properties.

5. Are there any limitations to using plane indices?

One limitation of using plane indices is that they only apply to regular, repeating crystal structures. They cannot be used for amorphous materials or irregular crystal structures. Additionally, different systems for determining plane indices may be more suitable for different types of crystals, so it's important to consider which system is best for a specific material.