How Does the Coefficient of Restitution Affect Velocity in Collisions?

• Thread starter bpx95
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary: So, this isn't actually homework, but I figured since it is so low-leveled, it qualifies.I am a programmer writing a little physics engine, just for fun. So this is all theoretical physics I guess. I have very little physics training above high school physics, so bare with me.Basically, pretend there is a box flying towards a wall at a certain velocity. When it hits the wall, let's call the velocity it was at when it hit it, v. And since the wall is not moving, the velocity of impact would be v, correct? So, an equal and opposite force acts on the box. So I assumed I would just subtract
bpx95
So, this isn't actually homework, but I figured since it is so low-leveled, it qualifies.

I am a programmer writing a little physics engine, just for fun. So this is all theoretical physics I guess. I have very little physics training above high school physics, so bare with me.

Basically, pretend there is a box flying towards a wall at a certain velocity. When it hits the wall, let's call the velocity it was at when it hit it, v. And since the wall is not moving, the velocity of impact would be v, correct? So, an equal and opposite force acts on the box. So I assumed I would just subtract its current velocity v by that force, also v. But then, that would zero out and it wouldn't bounce back. So, then I thought, well maybe its current velocity gets reset to 0, and THEN we subtract v, ending up with -v. But that seems too strong.. I mean, in real life, if you throw something at a wall, it doesn't bounce back at the velocity that it hit the wall (I tried just a few minutes ago to check).

So what happens to the velocity of an object as it hits another object?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums :smile:

I have moved your question to the General Physics subforum since it is not homework, or a problem from a textbook.

bpx95 said:
So, this isn't actually homework, but I figured since it is so low-leveled, it qualifies.

I am a programmer writing a little physics engine, just for fun. So this is all theoretical physics I guess. I have very little physics training above high school physics, so bare with me.

Basically, pretend there is a box flying towards a wall at a certain velocity. When it hits the wall, let's call the velocity it was at when it hit it, v. And since the wall is not moving, the velocity of impact would be v, correct? So, an equal and opposite force acts on the box. So I assumed I would just subtract its current velocity v by that force, also v.
You seem to have a misconception about what forces are. They are conceptually different than velocity, and cannot be added to or subtracted from velocity. More to the point, the force does not "equal" the velocity v.

But then, that would zero out and it wouldn't bounce back. So, then I thought, well maybe its current velocity gets reset to 0, and THEN we subtract v, ending up with -v. But that seems too strong.. I mean, in real life, if you throw something at a wall, it doesn't bounce back at the velocity that it hit the wall (I tried just a few minutes ago to check).

So what happens to the velocity of an object as it hits another object?
It will bounce back (as you're aware already). If the other object is a lot more more massive and at rest, it will bounce back (as you're probably aware already). The speed it has after bouncing can be anything from zero up to the speed it initially had. Just what speed it has depends on how much of the original energy (in the form of kinetic energy) gets converted to heat and/or sound upon colliding. And that depends on the materials the object and wall are made of: a clay ball might stick to the wall (have zero speed after bouncing), whereas a highly elastic ball will bounce back with nearly the same speed it had before.

For a simple programming algorithm, you could just have the speed after the collision be some fraction of the initial speed, depending on how elastic you want the collision to be. Eg., perhaps make it bounce back at 80% of the speed it had initially. You would set that percentage as a parameter in the code.

Collisions in 2D or 3D get tricky, since you have to worry about components of the velocity both normal and parallel to the wall. Not my forte, so I'll just leave it at that.

Redbelly98 has written some useful stuff.
I'd like to add that the energy lost wouldn't necessarily be linearly dependent on the initial kinetic energy, but I suppose a linear dependence would be a first approximation.
Another issue, if this physics engine is being written for a game, the most realistic equation isn't necessarily the one you should go for.

EDIT: I now realize Redbelly98 wasn't proposing using a linear dependence of energy lost on initial energy. He was thinking of a linear dependence of final speed on initial speed. I would personally guess that energy lost goes with initial energy. But that's just a guess, really.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, guys!

Firstly, no, this isn't being written for a game. Just playing around with physics, sort of creating a scientific simulation zone, with moderate accuracy.

So you're saying that it is more difficult to accurately measure that force, because it completely depends on the material? So, I can just throw stuff at walls in real life and try to use that to measure how much my virtual objects should bounce back!

Thanks!

Yes, if you're going for realism, that's probably the best way to do it

Exactly!It depends upon the material just like friction.Google Co-efficient of restitution.

1. What is Newton's third law of motion?

Newton's third law of motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when an object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert a force back on the first object that is equal in magnitude but opposite in direction.

2. How does Newton's third law apply to everyday life?

Newton's third law can be observed in many everyday situations. For example, when you walk, your foot exerts a force on the ground, and the ground exerts an equal and opposite force back on your foot, propelling you forward. Similarly, when you push on a wall, the wall pushes back on you with an equal force.

3. Can forces be unbalanced if they are equal and opposite?

Yes, forces can still be unbalanced even if they are equal and opposite. This is because unbalanced forces also take into account the direction of the force. If two equal and opposite forces are acting on an object in different directions, they will cancel each other out and the object will experience a net force in the direction of the stronger force.

4. How do you calculate the magnitude of an equal and opposite force?

The magnitude of an equal and opposite force can be calculated using Newton's second law of motion, which states that force equals mass times acceleration. This means that if you know the mass and acceleration of an object, you can calculate the magnitude of the equal and opposite force exerted on it.

5. Can equal and opposite forces exist in the same direction?

No, equal and opposite forces must be acting in opposite directions. For example, if two objects are pushing against each other with the same amount of force, they are actually exerting equal and opposite forces in opposite directions. If the forces were acting in the same direction, they would not be equal and opposite.