Coefficient of Kinetic friction

In summary, the problem involves a box sliding down a 30 degree ramp with an acceleration of 1.2 m/s^2. The task is to determine the coefficient of kinetic friction between the box and the ramp without considering the mass. Various equations and ideas were suggested, such as leaving the equations in terms of mass or assigning a value for mass and later realizing that it is not needed. It is recommended to solve the problem using only symbols first and then checking the units for accuracy. This will also make solving larger and more complex problems easier in the future.
Tabe
Ok, in this problem, I am given theta, which in 30 degrees, and acceleration, which is 1.2 m/s^2. How do I solve for the coefficient of Kinetic friction without the mass? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
You have not described what the problem is about...so it's hard to help really. Can you write down the question as you have it ? And in addition, post whatever thoughts/ideas you have.

We can't help you unless you show that you've made an effort.

The problem is: A box slides down a 30 degree ramp with an acceleration of 1.2 ms/^2. Determine the coefficient of kinetic friction between the box and the ramp. I have tried to solve the problem without the mass, but the formulas that I have all involve mass, or the forces. I don't know how to solve the problem with the variables that I am given for either of them.

The mass doesn't matter.

Don't try to calculate numerical values for each individual step. You must either leave all of your equations in terms of m and you will find that mass drops out of your equation for Newton's Second Law, or you must make up a value of m and trust me that mass doesn't matter. Honestly, I wouldn't trust me if I were you.

--J

As Justin Said

Dont worry about the numbers. Solve with only symbols first. Its a lot easier to solve and you can quicklly simplify it. After you think you've solved it go back and check your units (for this one all the units should cancel). Also, in future endevors (larger more complex problems) your life will be a lot easier when it comes to finding mistakes/errors.

-Burg

What is the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction, denoted as μk, is a dimensionless constant that represents the amount of resistance between two surfaces in contact when one is in motion.

How is the coefficient of kinetic friction calculated?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is calculated by dividing the force of kinetic friction by the normal force. Mathematically, it can be expressed as μk = Fk/FN, where Fk is the force of kinetic friction and FN is the normal force.

What factors affect the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is affected by several factors including the nature and roughness of the surfaces in contact, the force pushing the surfaces together, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants.

How does the coefficient of kinetic friction differ from the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction represents the resistance between two surfaces in motion, while the coefficient of static friction represents the resistance between two surfaces at rest. The coefficient of static friction is typically higher than the coefficient of kinetic friction.

Why is the coefficient of kinetic friction important in physics?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is important in physics because it helps to explain the behavior of objects in motion. It is a fundamental concept in understanding the forces involved in movement, such as in the study of friction, motion, and energy.