Effect of pressure on a magnetic field

In summary, pressure seems to have a negative effect on the flux field intensity in a high-pressure environment.
Richard King
I don't know where else to turn, so I thought I'd pose a question in this forum.

I have an application where a permanent magnet is used in a high-pressure environment. In our first test in a pressure vessel, we observed a reduction in the intensity of the flux field as we increased vessel pressure. I'm not a physicist, but that doesn't seem logical to me. I can see temperature having an effect on the magnetic material itself, and in the flux field as a result, but I can't see how pressure would have any effect.

Does anyone have any information on this subject?

Thanks in advance,

Richard

Physics news on Phys.org
Richard King said:
I don't know where else to turn, so I thought I'd pose a question in this forum.

I have an application where a permanent magnet is used in a high-pressure environment. In our first test in a pressure vessel, we observed a reduction in the intensity of the flux field as we increased vessel pressure. I'm not a physicist, but that doesn't seem logical to me. I can see temperature having an effect on the magnetic material itself, and in the flux field as a result, but I can't see how pressure would have any effect.

Does anyone have any information on this subject?

Thanks in advance,

Richard

Questions like this are almost impossible to answer. You need to be very explicit in the description of your system. For example, how exactly did you increase the pressure in the vessel? How exactly did you measure the magnetic field flux? What is the configuration of the source of the magnetic field, is the vessel itself isolated magnetically from the outside? I've seen people measuring larger magnetic field in a vacuum chamber simply because that's when they turned on their vacuum pump, and thus, got a higher magnetic field value!

Unless there is a clear description of what is going on, I certain cannot answer this question.

Zz.

Hi Richard,

Thank you for posing your question in this forum. The effect of pressure on a magnetic field is a topic that has been studied and researched by scientists for many years.

Firstly, it is important to understand that pressure and magnetic fields are both forms of energy. Pressure is a measure of the force exerted on an object, while a magnetic field is a region in which a magnetic force can be detected.

When a permanent magnet is placed in a high-pressure environment, the pressure exerted on the magnet can cause changes in the arrangement of its atoms and molecules. This can lead to a change in the magnetic properties of the material, which can result in a decrease in the intensity of the magnetic field.

Additionally, changes in pressure can also affect the surrounding medium, such as air or liquid, which can in turn affect the magnetic field. For example, an increase in pressure can cause the medium to become more dense, which can interfere with the movement of electrons and thus affect the strength of the magnetic field.

Another factor to consider is the temperature of the environment. As you mentioned, temperature can also have an impact on the magnetic properties of materials. In a high-pressure environment, temperature can also increase due to the compression of the medium, which can further contribute to changes in the magnetic field.

In conclusion, while it may seem counterintuitive, pressure can indeed have an effect on a magnetic field. I hope this information helps to answer your question. If you would like to learn more, I suggest looking into the concept of magnetostriction, which is the change in shape of a material due to the application of a magnetic field.

Best of luck with your application.

1. How does pressure affect the strength of a magnetic field?

Pressure has no direct effect on the strength of a magnetic field. However, changes in pressure can indirectly affect the magnetic properties of materials, such as altering their electrical conductivity, which can impact the strength of a magnetic field.

2. Can pressure change the direction of a magnetic field?

No, pressure cannot change the direction of a magnetic field. The direction of a magnetic field is determined by the orientation of the magnetic poles and is not affected by external factors such as pressure.

3. Does increasing pressure increase or decrease the permeability of a material?

Increasing pressure can decrease the permeability of a material. This is because pressure can cause a decrease in the spaces between atoms, making it more difficult for magnetic fields to pass through the material.

4. How does pressure affect the magnetic properties of ferromagnetic materials?

Pressure can alter the magnetic properties of ferromagnetic materials by changing their crystal structure, which can affect the alignment and movement of magnetic domains. This can result in changes in the material's magnetic field strength and direction.

5. Is there a specific pressure range that has the most significant effect on magnetic fields?

The specific pressure range that has the most significant effect on magnetic fields depends on the material and its properties. In some cases, a small increase in pressure can have a large impact, while in others, a larger pressure change may be needed to see a noticeable effect on the magnetic field.