Selection of Right Lipo battery

In summary, selecting the proper lipo batteries involves considering the motor specifications and choosing a battery that can deliver the necessary voltage and current to power the motor. In the conversation, the example battery is a 10-cell 37V LiPo battery with a capacity of 5000mAh, which would theoretically be able to power the motor at 1850 watts for an hour. However, due to the high current requirements of the motor, it may be difficult to find a suitable battery.
bhaazee
I would like to know about selecting the proper lipo batteries. For example, for the following motor spec a suitable battery has to be selected

Motor Kv 540KV RPM/Volt
(What does KV in 540KV represent?)
Max Continuous Current 115 Amps
Max Continuous Power 4800 Watts
Max Lipo Cell 12s
(Does 12s means a 12-cell battery?)

Now assume the following battery spec

LiPo Battery 5000mAh 10-Cell 37V
Does this mean the battery can supply a 5 Amp-hr *37 volt * 10 cells = 1850 watt-hr?

How to find how long this battery can be used to power the above motor?
(I would like to choose a suitable battery that can run the motor for 1 hour or more)

My query might be childish. However, would like to to learn something. Can someone please explain me with simple calc?

Regards

Engineering news on Phys.org
LiPo Battery 5000mAh 10-Cell 37V
Does this mean the battery can supply a 5 Amp-hr *37 volt * 10 cells = 1850 watt-hr?

The battery of 10 cells deliver 37 volts, so they are 3.7 volts each.

The output could be 5 amps for an hour (5 AH) and, in this case, the power would be (37 volts times 5 amps) or 185 watts assuming the battery voltage did not drop appreciably in this time.

The motor specifications are confusing. KV clearly does not mean Kilo-Volts here so you would have to seek further clarification.
However, the motor is apparently getting 41.7 volts from the battery so it could be a 12 cell battery. This would make each cell 3.47 volts which seems about right.

The current of 115 amps continuous is very high and you would have to hunt through catalogs to find something suitable.

1. What factors should be considered when selecting a lipo battery?

Some important factors to consider when selecting a lipo battery include voltage, capacity, discharge rate, and physical size. Voltage and capacity will determine the overall power and runtime of the battery, while discharge rate will determine how quickly the battery can deliver that power. Physical size is also important to ensure the battery fits in the intended device.

2. How do I determine the voltage of the lipo battery I need?

The voltage of a lipo battery is typically listed as a series of numbers, such as "3S" or "4S." This indicates the number of cells in the battery, with each cell providing around 3.7 volts. So a 3S battery would have a voltage of around 11.1 volts (3 x 3.7). You should select a lipo battery with a voltage that matches the requirements of your device.

3. What does the C-rating of a lipo battery mean?

The C-rating of a lipo battery refers to its maximum discharge rate. This is typically listed as a number followed by a "C," such as "25C." The C-rating is a measure of how quickly the battery can deliver its power. For example, a 25C battery with a capacity of 1000mAh could deliver a maximum current of 25 x 1000mAh = 25,000mA or 25A. Higher C-ratings are better for devices that require high power, but they may also be more expensive.

4. Are all lipo batteries the same size?

No, lipo batteries come in a variety of sizes and shapes. The most common sizes are 1S, 2S, 3S, and 4S, which refer to the number of cells in the battery. However, even within these sizes, there can be variations in physical dimensions. It is important to check the dimensions of the lipo battery to ensure it will fit in your device.

5. How do I properly care for and store my lipo batteries?

To ensure the longevity and safety of your lipo batteries, it is important to follow these guidelines:

• Always use a lipo battery charger designed for the type and size of battery you have.
  • Never leave your lipo battery charging unattended.
  • Store lipo batteries in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight and sources of heat.
  • Do not over-discharge your lipo battery, as this can cause irreversible damage.
  • If you notice any damage to your lipo battery, such as swelling or punctures, do not use it and dispose of it properly.