Rolling motion, confused about friction

In summary, a constant horizontal force of magnitude 10 is applied to a wheel of mass 10 kg and radius .4 m. The wheel rolls smoothly on a horizontal surface with an acceleration of .6 m/s^2. The frictional force on the wheel is -4, causing confusion as to why it is in the opposite direction of the wheel's acceleration. This is due to Newton's third law of motion.
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

In the figure, a constant horizontal force Fa magnitude 10 is applied to a wheel of mass 10 kg and radius .4 m. The wheel rolls smoothly on the horizontal surface, and the acceleration of the center of mass has magnitude .6 m/s^2.

Find frictional force on wheel.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

f = ma

10 + friction = ma = 6

friction = -4

I don't understand why my friction direction is opposite of the direction the wheel is accelerating. It should be in the same direction. Obviously the math is fine, but why is the friction going in the same direction that the wheel has the tendency to slide in?

Physics news on Phys.org
Newton's third law of motion.

1MileCrash said:

Homework Statement

In the figure, a constant horizontal force Fa magnitude 10 is applied to a wheel of mass 10 kg and radius .4 m. The wheel rolls smoothly on the horizontal surface, and the acceleration of the center of mass has magnitude .6 m/s^2.

Find frictional force on wheel.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

f = ma

10 + friction = ma = 6

friction = -4

I don't understand why my friction direction is opposite of the direction the wheel is accelerating. It should be in the same direction. Obviously the math is fine, but why is the friction going in the same direction that the wheel has the tendency to slide in?

Quite hard to see the difficulty as I can't find "the figure"

1. What is rolling motion?

Rolling motion is the movement of an object along a surface while simultaneously rotating around its own axis. This type of motion is typically seen in objects such as wheels, balls, and cylinders.

2. How does rolling motion differ from sliding motion?

Rolling motion involves both rotational and translational motion, whereas sliding motion only involves translational motion. In rolling motion, the point of contact between the object and the surface is stationary, while in sliding motion, the point of contact is constantly changing.

3. How does friction affect rolling motion?

Friction plays a crucial role in rolling motion. It provides the force that allows the object to roll and also determines the speed and direction of the rolling motion. Friction can also cause the object to slow down or stop if it is strong enough.

4. Can rolling motion occur without friction?

No, rolling motion cannot occur without friction. Without friction, there would be no force to propel the object forward and it would simply slide instead of roll.

5. How can we reduce friction in rolling motion?

Friction can be reduced in rolling motion by using materials with lower coefficients of friction, such as lubricants or smooth surfaces. Additionally, reducing the weight of the rolling object can also decrease the amount of friction present.