Two theory questions involving Earth/Moon. Should be easy for you guys.

• Thread starter DLxX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theory
In summary, the conversation discusses questions regarding the effect of Earth's mass doubling on the Moon's orbit and the comparison of gravitational pull and acceleration between the two bodies. The answer to the first question is determined by comparing the equations of gravitational force and acceleration for both objects. The conversation also mentions considering Newton's laws and conservation of energy and angular momentum to find the answers.
DLxX
I need help with the following questions because I don't fully understand the theory behind these questions.

1. If the Earth's mass were double what it is, in what ways would the Moon's orbit be different?

2.Which pulls harder gravitationally, the Earth on the Moon, or the Moon on the Earth? Which accelerates more?

Physics news on Phys.org
DLxX said:
2.Which pulls harder gravitationally, the Earth on the Moon, or the Moon on the Earth? Which accelerates more?

I'm certain you can figure that out yourself. The answer to the first question will be obtained in comparing the equation of the gravitationnal force exerted on both object (on by the other). The answer to the second question follows from comparing the accelerations given by F = ma applied to both objects

[tex]\vec{F}_{earth \rightarrow moon} = m_{moon}\vec{a}_{moon}[/tex]

and

[tex]\vec{F}_{moon \rightarrow Earth } = m_{earth}\vec{a}_{earth}[/tex]

after you've found the relationship between these two forces.

Hint: ask yourself "what would be 'a' if the moon and the Earth had the same mass"? And what about if the mass of the moon is smaller than that of the earth?

Last edited:
After thinking about it for 30 minutes, I think, I think, that if the mass of the Earth were to sudently double, the moons orbit would gradually drop to an orbit of radius twice as small. I have considered the moon's orbit as circular.

(I am bothered by the radial part of the acceleration in polar coordinates...

[tex]a_r=\ddot{r}-r\dot{\theta}^2[/tex]

How do you read that?! "The radial component of acceleration equals the radial acceleration minus the centripetal acceleration" ?! That doesn't sound right!)

Last edited:
quasar...

What you have written looks like the magnitude of the entire acceleration to me, not just the radial component. Are you sure it was a r, and not simply a?

By the way...I have no idea what would happen to the moon's orbit if the Earth's mass suddenly doubled. :frown:

DlxX: Another way of thinking about question 2 is to consider two of Newton's three laws...which the equation that quasar told you to consider definitely satisfy. Quasar already wrote out Newton's 2nd law to answer the second part of 2. But do you know which of his laws that I am hinting at immediatly states the answer to the first part of 2?

Last edited:
quasar987 said:
if the mass of the Earth were to sudently double,the moons orbit would gradually drop to an orbit of radius twice as small. I have considered the moon's orbit as circular.
WRONG...use conservation of energy... the orbit of the moon will become an ellipse...

edit: and conservation of angular momentum

Last edited:

1. What is the theory of how the Earth and Moon were formed?

The most widely accepted theory is the Giant Impact Hypothesis, which suggests that the Moon was formed from debris left over after a Mars-sized object collided with Earth early in its formation.

2. How does the Moon affect the Earth's tides?

The Moon's gravitational pull creates tidal forces on the Earth's oceans, causing high and low tides. The Moon's position and phase can also affect the height and timing of tides.

3. What is the significance of the Moon's orbit around the Earth?

The Moon's orbit around the Earth is significant because it helps stabilize Earth's rotation and creates a more habitable environment. It also has a significant impact on the Earth's climate and tectonic activity.

4. How does the Moon's lack of atmosphere affect the Earth?

The Moon's lack of atmosphere means that there is no weather or erosion, which allows for the preservation of impact craters and other geological features. It also means that there is no protection from solar radiation and meteoroids for both the Moon and the Earth.

5. What is the relationship between the Earth and Moon's sizes and distances?

The Earth is much larger than the Moon, with a diameter over four times larger. However, the Moon is much closer to the Earth, with an average distance of about 238,855 miles compared to the Earth's average distance from the Sun of about 93 million miles.