Expanding over R and L polarisations

• Thread starter StevieTNZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expanding
In summary, the conversation discusses the expansion of the tensor product in the H/V basis, specifically the combinations of |RR> + |LL> and |RR> - |LL>. The confusion lies in how to factor in the complex numbers involved, but the use of bilinearity of the tensor product can help expand it correctly.
StevieTNZ
We expand over, in the H/V basis, |RR> + |LL>, likewise |RR> - |LL>. Because R = (H + iV) and L = (H - iV), how do we factor in the complex number to obtain the final result?

So:
1. (H + iV)(H + iV) + (H - iV)(H - iV) and
2. (H + iV)(H + iV) - (H - iV)(H - iV)

Thanks,
Stevie

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

What difficulties have you encountered in expanding this tensor product?

I guess my confusion lies with |HH> - |VV>, which allows RR combinations. That's why I'm asking what to do in cases involving complex numbers.

StevieTNZ said:
I guess my confusion lies with |HH> - |VV>, which allows RR combinations. That's why I'm asking what to do in cases involving complex numbers.

I don't see how your second sentence (complex number problem) logically follows your first one.

|HH> - |VV>
=(R + iL)(R + iL) - (R - iL)(R - iL)
= RR - RR + iLL - iLL + RiL + RiL ??

StevieTNZ said:
|HH> - |VV>
=(R + iL)(R + iL) - (R - iL)(R - iL)
= RR - RR + iLL - iLL + RiL + RiL ??

R=H+iV
H=(R+L)/2

So H = (R + L) and
V = -i (R - L)

=|H>|V> - |V>|H>
=(R + L) -i(R - L) - -i(R - L)(R + L)

-i = +1? (-i^2)

How do we expand over that?

What seems to be the problem exactly? Just use the bilinearity of ⊗:
(cA)⊗B = A⊗(cB) = c(A⊗B), (A+B)⊗C = A⊗C+B⊗C, A⊗(B+C) = A⊗B+A⊗C

R⊗R + L⊗L=(H + iV)⊗(H + iV) + (H - iV)⊗(H - iV) =
=(H⊗(H + iV) + iV⊗(H + iV)) + (H⊗(H - iV) - iV⊗(H - iV)) =
=H⊗H + H⊗iV + iV⊗H + iV⊗iV + H⊗H - H⊗iV - iV⊗H + iV⊗iV =
=H⊗H + i(H⊗V) + i(V⊗H) -V⊗V + H⊗H - i(H⊗V) - i(V⊗H) - V⊗V =
= 2(H⊗H - V⊗V)
Similarly, RR - LL= 2i (HV + VH).

1. What is the difference between R and L polarisations?

R and L polarisations refer to the direction of the electric field in an electromagnetic wave. R polarisation has a horizontal electric field, while L polarisation has a vertical electric field.

2. How does expanding over R and L polarisations affect the properties of light?

Expanding over R and L polarisations allows for the characterization of light as a combination of circularly polarized waves, which can help determine the direction and intensity of the electric field in an electromagnetic wave.

3. What is the purpose of expanding over R and L polarisations in scientific research?

Expanding over R and L polarisations is used in various scientific fields, such as optics and spectroscopy, to analyze the polarization properties of light and to understand the behavior of electromagnetic waves.

4. How is expanding over R and L polarisations related to the concept of polarized light?

Polarized light refers to light waves that vibrate in a specific direction. By expanding over R and L polarisations, we can determine the direction of polarization and the degree of circular polarization in a light wave.

5. Can expanding over R and L polarisations be applied to other types of waves besides light?

Yes, expanding over R and L polarisations can also be applied to other types of waves, such as radio waves and microwaves, to analyze their polarization properties and understand their behavior in different environments.