Time-dependent Schrodinger equation for many particles

In summary, the time-dependent Schrodinger equation for a system with three particles can have multiple solutions, each corresponding to different long-term behaviors such as independent particles or one particle bound to another. This is an important concept in scattering theory, where the wave function and its probabilities at large times and distances are measured.
AxiomOfChoice
If you've got, say, three particles, then the time-dependent Schrodinger equation (in units where [itex]\hbar = 1[/itex]) for the system reads

[tex]
i \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial t} = -\sum_{i=1}^3 \frac{1}{2m_i} \Delta_i \psi + \sum_{i<j} V(r_i - r_j)\psi,
[/tex]

right? And of course [itex]\psi = \psi(r_1,r_2,r_3;t)[/itex]. But there isn't just ONE solution to this equation, right? There are MANY. And don't they correspond to, say, all particles being independent for large times, or one particle bound to another and the remaining one free, etc.? And I'm guessing this is at the heart of scattering theory - kind of examining the variety of long-time behaviors that can be exhibited in this case. Do I have this right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes that's right. The wave function as [itex]t\rightarrow \pm \infty [/itex] and it's corresponding probabilities are what we can measure. Not only [itex]t[/itex], but also as [itex]r\rightarrow \infty [/itex] which in a collider experiment is on the order of meters.

1. What is the Time-dependent Schrodinger equation for many particles?

The Time-dependent Schrodinger equation for many particles is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the evolution of a quantum system over time. It takes into account the wave nature of particles and is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a certain position at a given time.

2. How does the Time-dependent Schrodinger equation differ from the Time-independent Schrodinger equation?

The Time-dependent Schrodinger equation takes into account the changing nature of a quantum system over time, while the Time-independent Schrodinger equation only describes the stationary state of a quantum system. The Time-dependent equation also includes the concept of energy conservation, which is not present in the Time-independent equation.

3. What is the significance of the Time-dependent Schrodinger equation in quantum mechanics?

The Time-dependent Schrodinger equation is a foundational equation in quantum mechanics and is used to understand and predict the behavior of quantum systems. It allows scientists to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a certain state at a given time, and has been successful in explaining many experimental observations.

4. Can the Time-dependent Schrodinger equation be solved analytically?

In most cases, the Time-dependent Schrodinger equation cannot be solved analytically. Instead, numerical methods such as approximation techniques or computer simulations are used to obtain solutions. However, there are some special cases where the equation can be solved analytically, such as for a system with a constant potential.

5. How does the Time-dependent Schrodinger equation relate to the concept of wave-particle duality?

The Time-dependent Schrodinger equation is a manifestation of the wave-particle duality principle in quantum mechanics. It describes the behavior of particles as waves, which allows for the calculation of probabilities rather than specific positions. This duality is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics and is essential for understanding the behavior of particles at the microscopic level.