Radical/Fraction question correct?

• Thread starter DLxX
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing a mathematical question involving fractions stacked on top of each other, with one fraction having a radical in the numerator. The final simplified answer is SQRT3. The person asking the question made a mistake initially but ultimately arrived at the correct answer.
DLxX
Ok well this is the question. SQRT3/2 / 1/2 Its on of those fractions stacked onto another fraction questions, except with the first fraction having a radical in the numerator. I ended up getting SQRT3 + 4/2. Is this right?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Use paranthesis to explain what you meant.Is it:[tex] \sqrt{\frac{\frac{3}{2}}{\frac{1}{2}}} [/tex] ?

Daniel.

I think he means:
[tex] \frac{\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}}{\frac{1}{2}} [/tex]

Maybe?
-EP

In any of the 2 cases,why is there a "+" in the final answer...?

Daniel.

Yes I mean what Eroph wrote. Umm I multiplied them by reversing the denominator and I did a sort of cross multiplying thing. Did I do it wrong?

Lol I made a mistake and I was adding or something. Is the answer (2SQRT3) / 2?

Yep,you can simplify through that "2" and bring the result to a simpler form.

Daniel.

So then the final answer would just be SQRT3 then?

Of course it would...

Daniel.

1. What is a radical/fraction question?

A radical/fraction question is a mathematical question that involves using radicals (square roots, cube roots, etc.) and/or fractions to solve for an unknown variable.

2. How do I simplify radicals?

To simplify radicals, you must find the largest perfect square that is a factor of the number inside the radical. Then, you can rewrite the radical using the perfect square as the coefficient and the remaining number inside the radical. Continue simplifying until no further simplification can be done.

3. How do I add or subtract fractions?

To add or subtract fractions, you must first find a common denominator. This is the lowest number that both denominators can divide into evenly. Once you have a common denominator, you can add or subtract the numerators and keep the common denominator the same.

4. How do I multiply or divide fractions?

To multiply fractions, you simply multiply the numerators and denominators together. To divide fractions, you must flip the second fraction (the divisor) upside down and then follow the same steps as multiplying.

5. How do I solve a radical/fraction equation?

To solve a radical/fraction equation, you must isolate the variable on one side of the equation. This may involve simplifying radicals and fractions and using inverse operations (such as squaring or taking the reciprocal) to isolate the variable. Finally, check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation.