Are There Any Non-3D Objects in the Universe?

• Thread starter demosthenes_001
  • Start date
In summary, there is currently no scientific proof that anything other than 3 dimensional objects exist. While we may call drawings 2D, they are still made up of 3 dimensional lead particles. String theory suggests the existence of 1 dimensional strings, but they cannot be seen by the naked eye or through an electron microscope. The concept of dimensions can be difficult to understand, as seen with the example of electrons.
demosthenes_001
Does anyone know if science has actually proved that anything other than 3 dimensional objects exist? We call drawings 2d, because it is the only way we can concieve of it, but the lead particles on a page are still 3 dimensional. My question comes partially from recently looking at string theory. I am unable to concieve of a 1 dimensional thing.

Physics news on Phys.org
demosthenes_001 said:
Does anyone know if science has actually proved that anything other than 3 dimensional objects exist? We call drawings 2d, because it is the only way we can concieve of it, but the lead particles on a page are still 3 dimensional. My question comes partially from recently looking at string theory. I am unable to concieve of a 1 dimensional thing.

Well, non-string physics already has 0-dimensional objects, namely point particles, so you should then consider string theory as a major step forward, no ? Still 2 such steps, and we're home :smile: Give those scientists some time, they're a bit slow on the mental side :biggrin:

cheers,
Patrick.

Why are u unable to conceive a 1D-string...?All strings are 1D.It would be really weird to talk about 2D strings...Or 0D strings...

Daniel.

This depends on what you mean by "string". in quantum physics it is one dimensional, but in the world on a larger scale, a string is three dimensional. What I was asking was, could these one dimensional strings be seen by a human eye, or on some kind of electron microscope, and therefore be truly proved? What I meant by not being able to concieve of something that is one dimensional, is that I can not see it or picture it in my mind, and therefore, can not concieve it.

demosthenes_001 said:
What I was asking was, could these one dimensional strings be seen by a human eye,

Definitely not.

demosthenes_001 said:
or on some kind of electron microscope, and therefore be truly proved?

Definitely not.

demosthenes_001 said:
What I meant by not being able to concieve of something that is one dimensional, is that I can not see it or picture it in my mind, and therefore, can not concieve it.

Think of electrons...Do we see them...?They're 0D objects (treated by theory),but we would like to think they have 3 dimensions...How do we know electrons exist,if we can't "conceive" it...?

Daniel.

thank you. that definately gives me a better understanding of dimensions. :smile:

1. What are three dimensional objects?

Three dimensional objects have three dimensions: length, width, and height. They are objects that have depth and can be seen from different angles.

2. What are some examples of three dimensional objects?

Examples of three dimensional objects include cubes, spheres, cones, cylinders, pyramids, and prisms. Other examples include trees, buildings, and human bodies.

3. How are three dimensional objects different from two dimensional objects?

Three dimensional objects have depth and can be seen from different angles, while two dimensional objects only have length and width and can only be seen from one angle.

4. How do we perceive three dimensional objects?

We perceive three dimensional objects through our sense of sight, as our eyes are able to detect depth and see the object from different angles. Our brain processes the visual information and creates a three dimensional image.

5. What is the importance of studying three dimensional objects?

Studying three dimensional objects is important in various fields, such as mathematics, engineering, and art. It helps us understand the physical world and how objects interact with each other. It also allows us to create and design new objects and structures.