Pyrrolidine: Achiral or chiral?

• Thread starter ochemstudent
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chiral
In summary, pyrrolidine is a chiral molecule with a chiral center at the nitrogen atom. Its symmetry around the nitrogen atom does not affect its chirality. It can be used to separate enantiomers, unlike an achiral molecule.
ochemstudent
Hi everyone, this is my first time posting to this website.

I'm just trying to study for organic chemistry, and I've been having a little trouble trying to grasp the concept of chiral/achiral.

The book talks about pyrrolidine,C4H9N, and it asks whether or not pyrrolidine could be used to isolate the racemic form of ibuprofen. I know that if it was achiral then it could not be used because it would result in identical R and S forms and produce a racemic mixture. I am currently trying to determine whether pyrrolidine is achiral or chiral. It seems like it has symmetry around the nitrogen atom, but I am unsure of whether that counts?

I'm very confused and any advice would help! Thank you in advance!

For reference, pyrrolidine looks like this!
http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/webprojects2001/gerrard/gifs/pyrrolidine-s-o.gif

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org

Hello and welcome to the forum! Chirality is a fundamental concept in organic chemistry and it can be a bit confusing at first. Pyrrolidine is indeed a chiral molecule, meaning it exists in two non-superimposable mirror image forms, also known as enantiomers. In order for a molecule to be chiral, it must have a chiral center, which is a carbon atom bonded to four different groups. In the case of pyrrolidine, the nitrogen atom is the chiral center.

The symmetry around the nitrogen atom does not affect the chirality of pyrrolidine. In fact, the presence of symmetry can sometimes make it more difficult to determine chirality. However, in this case, if you look at the structure of pyrrolidine, you can see that the four groups attached to the nitrogen atom are not the same, therefore making it chiral.

As for using pyrrolidine to isolate the racemic form of ibuprofen, you are correct in your understanding that an achiral molecule cannot be used for this purpose. Since pyrrolidine is chiral, it can be used to separate the R and S enantiomers of ibuprofen, resulting in a pure enantiomer. I hope this helps clarify things for you. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is pyrrolidine?

Pyrrolidine is a heterocyclic organic compound that contains a five-membered ring with four carbon atoms and one nitrogen atom.

2. Is pyrrolidine achiral or chiral?

Pyrrolidine can exist in both achiral and chiral forms, depending on the arrangement of its substituent groups. If all four substituents are different, it is chiral. If two or more substituents are the same, it is achiral.

3. How does chirality affect the properties of pyrrolidine?

Chirality can significantly impact the physical, chemical, and biological properties of pyrrolidine. Chiral molecules have different optical and biological activities compared to their achiral counterparts. They may also have different melting points, boiling points, and solubilities.

4. Can pyrrolidine be separated into its enantiomers?

Yes, pyrrolidine can be separated into its enantiomers through techniques such as chiral chromatography or by using chiral resolving agents. These techniques exploit the different interactions of the enantiomers with chiral substances to separate them.

5. What are the applications of pyrrolidine?

Pyrrolidine has a wide range of applications in the chemical, pharmaceutical, and agricultural industries. It is used as a building block for various organic compounds, such as pharmaceuticals, agrochemicals, and polymers. It is also used as a solvent, a catalyst, and an intermediate in organic synthesis.